If you’re looking to ball at your highest level this year you’ll need one of the best basketball shoes.
Having the right kicks can help improve your game and I’ll show you everything you need to consider when making your choice – after you’ll see my top picks for the year.
I’m sure by the time you’re done reading you’ll see a pair that you love.
How To Choose The Right Basketball Shoes
There’s a couple things you need to keep in mind when making your decision and the most important factors are:
- Ankle protection
- Knowing your playing style
- Smaller features (cushioning, traction, brand,)
The most important thing about a basketball shoe is its ability to protect your ankle and to prevent injuries to this part of your body. I know this from first hand experience. I’ve been playing basketball for a long time and on a few occasions I’ve had a bad pair.
On one occasion I had a pair of Jordan’s that I kept rolling my ankle in and had to throw them out. High tops generally protect your ankles better than lows and mids but I don’t think it’s absolute necessary to get high tops. Ankle protection comes from the entire shoe – materials, traction, structure and things like that. Every shoe on this list excels in ankle protection.
Next, you should know your playing style. Here’s the different style of players and their needs:
- Finesse: Finesse players tend to be point guards and use their skills on the court but don’t tend not to be overwhelming strong. Some NBA players that fall into this category includes Steph Curry, Steve Nash and Damian Lillard. These players will want a shoe designed for comfort, security and has good traction. Also, they’ll want a lightweight product that doesn’t slow them down.
- Slasher: Slashers are usually the most athletic people on the floor and may start on the perimeter but can use their speed to get to the hoop. Some famous slashers include Kobe, Iverson and Derrick Rose. This class of baller needs a high amount of ankle protection and a design that lets them explode and move laterally.
- Power: Power players are the people you never take a charge on. They may not have the same athleticism as a slasher but they can usually just bull right through people. Some power players include Lebron, Draymon Green and Blake Griffin. Power players need a lot of support and extra cushioning to provide comfort for their big frames.
- Post: Post players aren’t a threat on the perimeter and stay around the paint. They’re usually the tallest and biggest guys on the court and because of this they’ll need maximum support and comfort.
There’s a pair of sneakers on this list for every type of player.
Lastly you want to pay attention to all the smaller features of the shoe you’re considering. You want to make sure the materials used are high quality, have good traction and have well made cushioning. If you buy from a name brand company like Nike, Adidas or Under Armour your shoe will do fine in all those categories.
If you want to know more about purchasing basketball shoes, click here.
Now that you know exactly what to consider let’s take a look at my top picks now.
My Top 10 Best Basketball Shoes
Nike Air Foamposite Pro
Under Armour Curry 3's
Adidas Crazy Explosive
Adidas Dame 4
Under Armour Drive 4
Under Armour Fire Shot
Nike Air Conversion
Jordan True Flight
Under Armour Longshot
Nike Air Foamposite Pro
If you’re a baller that values both performance and style the Nike Air Foamposite Pro is a shoe that you must consider. This is the type of shoe that’s going to help you explode to the basket and the type that’s probably going to get you a few compliments.
My favorite part about these sneakers is how comfortable they are. When you slip the Foamposite’s on it feels like you’re stepping into cloud – that’s how good they feel!
Some other features that make this product worth it includes:
- Superior traction ensures you won’t slip all over the place. You’ll be able to plant and go without any problems. The traction doesn’t wear out easily either.
- Pull tabs on the tongue make this shoe very easy to pull off.
- Zoom Air and well made midsole is where the Foamposite get its comfort from.
- 30 different awesome colors and designs. You can get these in blue, gold, high tops, low tops, white, black, red and any other design imaginable. There are some colors that are going to turn heads too.
These shoes are expensive, however, and are the most expensive on this list. Do I think they’re worth that? Definitely and most people that have purchased them agree with that.
If you can’t afford the high price tag or just don’t feel like paying don’t worry. There’s plenty of high quality shoes on this list that’ll cost around half of these.
Nike Lebron 15’s
I’ve never actually been too big of a fan of Lebron’s basketball shoes. I’m more of a finesse player and his past shoes just seemed too bulky and heavy to me. Then the Lebron 15’s came around and they’ve completely changed my mind. I actually think they’re one of the nicest looking shoes on this list and they look just as good off the court.
If you’re a true baller you know looks aren’t the most important thing, though. You need protection. You need performance, You need comfort. You’ll be happy to know the 15’s excel in each of those categories.
You’ll also be happy to know this shoe:
- Isn’t constricting to wear and designed specifically to have a sock like feel – it almost feels like you’re not even wearing anything on your feet.
- Max Air and Zoom Air cushioning is another reason the 15’s are so comfortable to wear.
- Provides superiop ankle protection and you won’t have to worry about these sneakers causing a rolled ankle.
- Very durable and this product will easily stand up to the rigors of daily use and won’t tear/rip.
Lebron has even come out and said these are by far his favorite in his line of shoes and that they perform better than any other of his shoes to date. You’re probably thinking this is something he has to say but he’s been critical of his shoe line in the past. In fact, he refused to wear the Lebron 11’s because he didn’t like them.
If the 15’s work for Lebron they’ll work for you.
So how much are they going to cost? They’re a little pricey but you’ll get your money’s worth if you decide on them.
Under Armour Curry 3’s
Company: Under Armour
I guess Under Armour got the memo that the Curry 2’s were… well not the best designed shoes on the market. The Curry 3’s offer a nice sleek style and won’t be confused for something your dad wears while he mows the lawn.
You know these shoes are going to offer a good amount of ankle support too. Why do I say this? Because Steph Curry battled some serious ankle injuries when he started out his career. Some people weren’t even sure he’d ever really play at a high level again.
Obviously I’m not suggesting his line of shoes alone are responsible for this but you know if he wears them on the court they excel in that department.
Some other aspects you’ll like includes:
- Molded synthetic upper is why this product excels in the ankle protection department.
- ETC anti-friction cloth built in to keep the temperature inside the shoe low. This prevents overheating and over sweating.
- OrthoLite sock liner molds to the shape of your foot for maximum comfort and so you get the perfect feel.
- Herringbone traction is quality and ensures you can make lighting quick cuts.
- Threadborne upper delivers in stability and protection. It also makes this product incredibly lightweight.
- 23 different colors and designs to choose from.
The price on these are very reasonable too. I wouldn’t recommend these for big power player, though. I would go with the Lebron 15’s if that’s you. These are made for people that rely on speed and athleticism on the basketball court.
Nike Kyrie 3′s
Here we have another shoe I would say is perfect for point guards, shooting guards and possibly small forwards. The Kyrie 3’s are for quick players that like to start out around the permittee but also can drive and take it to the hoop.
One thing I really like about this shoe is how lightweight it is. There are some shoes that are extra bulky and can slow you down – that’s not the case here. Part of the reason it’s so lightweight is the foam used in the midsole. It protects against impacts but doesn’t add much weight overall.
If that’s not enough you’ll like that this product features:
- Herringbone traction gives you nice court feel and ensures you won’t slip all over the place.
- Full length rubber outsole also provides you with superior traction.
- TPU skin is breathable and this is key for preventing oversweating and overheating.
- Hyperfuse construction offers a ton of support and makes sure your ankle and heel are locked in place.
- Very durable and is meant to last the entire basketball season and beyond.
This shoe also comes in 34 different colors and designs. No matter what look or color you want you should be able to find it with the Kyrie 3’s.
The price isn’t horrible either and they cost what you’d expect for a quality basketball shoe.
The Nike Hyperdunks have a very special place in my heart. The high school I went to was never really known for basketball. In fact by the time I was a senior we went over 35 years without winning a league title.
My class and group of friends worked hard at basketball, though, and we wanted to change that. We went to camps, we practiced and we built a great rapport with each other. When it came time for our senior year we all decided to buy the same style Hyperdunks.
How did we do that year? Glad you asked! We probably had the best season in our school’s history, had the longest winning streak in the state at 17 straight games (this was New York where there’s a lot of good teams) and we won the league title. It truly was a special year.
I’m not saying the Hyperdunks were the reason we had great success but we all loved those shoes. They were so light and explosive. Not a single person on our team had a complaint about them and they were probably my favorite basketball sneakers of all time.
The reason why this is true is because they came with:
- Perfect ankle protection and not a single person on my team suffered any kind of ankle injury.
- Are lightweight and lets you make explosive cuts. You won’t feel slowed down with them on your feet.
- Are extremely breathable and you won’t have to worry about your feet overheating with them on.
- Rubber outsole with a design that’s made to give you excellent traction. You won’t slide when you make a cut because of this.
- Nike React cushioning makes these one of the most comfortable shoes on the market.
- 5 colors to choose from so you can match your jerseys for the year.
As you can see there’s a lot to like about the Hyperdunk’s. Another reason to like these shoes is they won’t completely break the bank either. You won’t mind paying for them and I know you’ll agree with that if you decide on the Hyperdunk’s. You may even have the best basketball season in your school’s history!
Jordan True Flight
I’ve played with a few pair of Jordans through out the years and some were good for basketball and others weren’t. The Jordan True Flight’s are a pair that excel on court.
A couple things I really like about this shoe is how lightweight they are and how comfortable they are to wear. The True Flight’s won’t slow you down at all and you’ll feel extra fast with them on your feet. They won’t cause any unnecessary pains either.
Some other features that you’ll like includes:
- Leather upper gives you the perfect fit and is extra durable. You won’t have to worry about this shoe ripping or tearing.
- Nike Air Sole Unit and Polyurethane footbed is where this product gets its comfort from.
- Rubber outsole won’t wear down and provides superior traction. You’ll be able to plant and explode because of this.
- Pull tab lets you take these shoes off very easily.
- Comes in 16 different colors so you should be able to match it to any jersey you’re wearing this year.
Jordan’s tend to be pretty expensive and that’s the case here. All things considered they’re not badly priced, though. You get what you pay for in life and in this case you’re paying for supreme comfort and performance.
Under Armour Fire Shot
Company: Under Armour
If you’re balling on a budget this year or just don’t feel like shelling out several hundred for a shoe the Under Armour Fire Shot could be the product you’re looking for.
Even though this is a budget shoe it still performs well on court and has a nice design. It has a look that could make people believe you paid $150 for it. Plus, it has 11 different colors which gives you a pretty wide selection.
If that’s not enough the Fire Shot’s come with:
- CompFit ankle construction is extremely well made and prevents ankle injuries. It also improves your range of motion so you move better out there.
- CompFit tongue has padding woven into it. This makes wearing these shoes ultra enjoyable.
- Made from both lightweight and breathable materials. You won’t feel like you’re walking around with bricks on your feet and you won’t oversweat. Plus, your shoes won’t smell badly because of this.
- Micro G sockliner forms to your unique foot shape and provides even more comfort.
- Rubber outsole is good in the traction department and this allows you to make sharp moves on the court.
I mentioned up top this is good for people that don’t want to spend a ton of cash on a sneaker and I meant it. If you want to see how well they’re priced, click below:
Adidas Crazy Explosive
The Adidas Crazy Explosives are another shoe that won’t break the bank and still performs like a top of the line shoe. In fact, the Crazy Explosives are one of my favorite shoes on this list.
One reason I say this is how well they protect your ankle. The high top design and lacing system ensures your ankle is strapped in and secure. Any person that’s ever rolled their ankle knows how key this is.
Some other top features include:
- Good versatility and this sneaker can be worn by all different kinds of players from the Lebron types to the Curry types.
- Boost cushioning and TPU wrap increases responsiveness while making this product extra comfortable.
- Power traction gives you excellent traction and this leads to better basketball moves.
- Extremely stable shoe and you’ll be able to drive to the basket with complete confidence with these on your feet.
- Well designed and one of the most stylish sneakers on the market. Plus, there’s 16 different unique colors to chose from.
Despite all this the Crazy Explosive’s won’t cost too much. In fact, they’re one of the best values of the year and you’ll for sure get your money’s worth.
Nike KD X
It’s fitting that one of the best basketball players on earth would have one of the best basketball shoes with his name on it – like Kevin Durant the KD X’s perform on court.
The X’s are also one of the most breathable shoes on this list too. Have you ever played with a pair of sneakers that made your feet hot and made you sweat way too much? That won’t happen here. This product makes sure airflow keeps moving and this helps eliminate sweat build up. You’ll get less blisters because of this and it prevents bad smells from developing.
Some other aspects that make this shoe worth it includes:
- Flyknit upper is stretchy and gives you a wide range of motion. You won’t feel constricted while wearing the KD X’s.
- Full length Zoom Air cushioning makes this product comfortable.
- One of the best lacing systems available and this ensures your ankle and heel are locked in place.
- Outsole traction gives you superior grip and keeps you from slipping.
- Low profile makes these shoes extremely lightweight which is good for anyone dependent on speed and athleticism.
The price is high without being ridiculously high too – it’s low enough where everyone should consider these shoes. You’ll really like the way they feel..
Adidas Dame 4
This shoe is the 4th generation Dame’s and are made for Portland Trailblazer’s point guard Damian Lillard. I really, really like these shoes and I’ve been a big fan of the Dames since the second shoe in the lineup.
I think the style is fresh and they’re amazing to play in. These shoes are so lightweight they almost look and feel like a running shoe. If you’re a speed guard or a slasher this is a product you definitely need to consider. They’ll help you obtain the fastest first step possible.
Some other features I know you’ll like includes:
- Made from lightweight mesh material and this ensures maximum air flow. You won’t have to worry about overheating or over sweating because of this.
- Lace cables through out the shoe gives you a lockdown and secure fit.
- Sock like fit makes this one of the most comfortable shoes on the market. It honestly barely feels like you’re wearing shoes at all with them on.
- Bounce midsole improves responsiveness and you’ll feel like you’re in complete control while rocking the Dame 4’s.
- Next level traction keeps you on your feet and helps you drive to the basket without any doubts.
The best part is these shoes really won’t even cost that much. Honestly, I think they’re a great deal and these sneakers could definitely be priced much higher than what they are.
Nike PG 1
The Nike PG 1’s are another low cut basketball shoe and one that’s good for speedy guards. If you’ve had ankle issues in the past you’ll want to consider pairing this shoe with a brace or looking somewhere else – ankle protection isn’t where this product excels. Also, if you’re a power play I would suggest purchasing a different pair of sneakers.
If you’re a point or shooting guard with healthy ankles, though, you’ll like what you get here. The lightweight design will help you get from point A to point B very quickly.
You’ll definitely like that these shoes come with:
- Rubber outsole is designed to give you multi-directional traction. This means no matter which direction you’re going you’ll be able to plant and go.
- Mesh and leather upper is made to be durable and breathable. You won’t have to worry about these shoes looking all tattered after the season.
- Zoom Air and sockliner improves the comfort of this product and ensures you get the most responsive feel possible while wearing them.
- Phylon midsole makes the PG’s extra stable. You won’t feel like you’re on stilts because of this.
- Multiple different colors and options to choose from to give you the look you want.
This is another perfectly priced shoe. Once you try them on you’ll agree with that for sure.
Here we have another pair of Jordan’s that you’ll love to play with. the Super.Fly’s are well known among basketball players and there’s plenty of satisfied customers wearing them, that’s for sure.
One of my favorite features is the Flight Web lacing system. This lacing system helps keep your foot locked in place and this is good for explosiveness and security. You don’t want your ankle shifting around while you’re making a cut and that won’ happen with this product.
If that’s not enough, you’ll like that these have:
- Multi-direction traction system ensures no matter which direction your cutting you’ll be able to do so without slipping.
- Tongue and forefoot integration maximizes the comfort of this product. You won’t have to worry about these shoes being a pain to wear.
- Synthetic leather heel and there’s plenty of padding for even more comfort.
- Nike React technology means you get responsiveness and explosive movements.
- This shoe is extremely durable and it’ll easily last the full basketball season with daily use.
- They come in several different colors so you’ll get a pair that suits you just right.
There’s Jordan’s that cost $200, $300 and $400. Luckily for you and I the Super.Fly’s won’t cost that much. I wouldn’t consider them cheap but they won’t break the bank either.
Under Armour Drive 4
Company: Under Armour
There’s a reason that this is the third Under Armour shoe on this list. Under Armour has really stepped its game up these past few years and in my mind have become the second best athletic apparel company behind Nike. I even have them ahead of Adidas.
They keep coming out with quality basketball shoes and their Drive 4’s just “drives” home this point. I don’t think they’re as quality as the Nike Air Foamposite’s but they’re a reliable and pretty affordable product.
Some other features that you’ll like includes:
- Lightweight and very breathable which is a great combination. You’ll feel extremely fast with them on your feet and your feet won’t be drenched in sweat every time you ball.
- Full length bootie ensures that your ankle is supported and you’ll feel very secure.
- Herringbone traction helps you grip the floor and keeps you off the ground.
- Toe wrap improves your overall flexibility and allows you to make cuts in every direction imaginable.
- Micro G cushioning makes this product extremely comfortable and you’ll probably be tempted to wear this shoe off the court.
This shoe won’t cost anything crazy either. There’s a ton of reviews for the Drive 4’s and almost all are extremely positive. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click below:
Nike Air Conversion
The Nike Air Conversion’s are a very stylish shoe and I feel like you could wear these things out and get some compliments. You can’t really say that about too many different basketball shoes but you can here.
What’s really nice is these shoes perform well on court and they won’t cost too much money either – in fact they’re priced really well.
Some other features that make this price worth it includes:
- Lunarlon reinforcements help sure up this shoe without adding too much weight. In fact, these shoes are one of the lightest on this list.
- Large tongue ensures that you’re locked in place and your ankle won’t shift around.
- Padding and cushioning through out this product and this improves the overall comfort of the Conversion’s.
- Breathable mesh materials prevent your feet from getting drenched in sweat.
You get 10 different colors to choose from too from black and white, to all white, to all black to red to grey and more. I like when you get a ton of colors to decide from. You can always brings your whole look together with the right color.
Nike Lebron Soldier 10
The Lebron Soldier 10’s are extremely well known and popular. I have a few friends that play with them and they rave about them. They love the stability and ankle protection they get.
You know what I think is really cool? The Soldier 10’s come in 31 different colors and designs. You’ll have a very easy time finding one that suits you well. I personally like the white and black color scheme but there’s plenty of other stylish options.
In terms of performance this shoe excels too. That’s mainly because this product comes with:
- Three Strap Lock Down System ensures you get maximum security. You won’t have to worry about your ankle turning over while you’re wearing these.
- Despite all the protection and different straps this shoe is still reasonably lightweight.
- Compression bootie improves the overall comfort of the Soldier 10’s and you’ll really like how they feel when you’re running up and down the court.
- Zoom Air units through out adds more comfort and makes this product responsive.
- Well made rubber outsole provides maximum traction and keeps you upright.
These shoes won’t completely break the bank either. They’re literally fit for a king and I’m sure they’ll work just fine for you.
Under Armour Longshot
Company: Under Armour
If you’re really, really, on a tight budget you should consider the Under Armour Longshot’s. If you’re an elite level player and like to play everyday (and can afford a better shoe) I would go with one of the other products on this list.
The Longshot is more of a practice shoe or made for someone that plays in men’s leagues a couple times a week. It can work as your main shoe but it’s not going to give you top of the line performance.
If that’s not too important to you, some top features includes:
- Mesh upper is both durable and breathable. You won’t have to worry about it tearing or causing your feet to be drenched.
- Ankle collar is made from soft layer which makes the Longshot’s pretty comfortable to wear.
- Outsole provides a good amount of traction and you won’t slip all over the place.
- Charged Cushioning absorbs impacts and makes landing less stressful to your body.
This shoe really is made for people strapped for cash and is a budget special. Usually I wouldn’t even recommend a sneaker this cheap but it’s pretty well made for such a low price.
Basketball Shoes FAQ’S
1) Question: How much should I spend on my basketball shoes?
Answer: There’s a lot of opinions on this matter and I truly think it comes down to how competitive you are. If you’re playing in a serious AAU league or playing on a varsity team, you’re going to want to spend extra for a well made shoe – $80+. You’ll get a more comfortable product this way and one with the best ankle support possible.
More doesn’t always mean better but in most cases it does.
It’s a different story if you’re just looking for a pair of sneakers to play in a non-competitive league or something like that. I’d still go name brand like Nike or Under Armour but you can get one of their cheaper products. Maybe in the $50 range.
For me personally, and when I was at my most competitive, I never spent less than $100. Maybe it was just a mental thing but I just found when I paid over $100 the shoe was much better and I performed better. I know a lot of ballers that feel and think the same way.
2) Question: How do you maintain your basketball shoes?
Answer: The most important thing you can do is not to wear your basketball shoes around in your daily life – that’ll wear them out really fast. You’ll especially wear out your soles that way. You’ll want to wear your regular shoes to walk around with and to go to school with and save your basketball shoes for the court.
Buy a drawstring bag or leave them in your locker. Your traction will last much longer this way and that’s important for good cuts and athleticism. I once wore down the traction on my kicks and it wasn’t good. Every time I went to plant I would end up slipping and I couldn’t get a good first step because of this.
You should have a different pair of sneakers if you play outside on the black top too. Again, the asphalt can do a number to the bottom of your shoes.
Another way to maintain your basketball shoes is to clean them after every game. Take a tooth brush and get all the dust and debris off the bottom. This will save their stickiness.
3) How often should I purchase basketball shoes?
Answer: This is a trick question because it really depends on how much you play. Now that I’m a little bit older I can get 18 months out of a pair of sneakers because I don’t play in them everyday. Back in the day, when I played for hours a day, I only really got a season out of them.
Here’s what I did: I would buy a new pair of sneakers right before the season would start. I would practice in them and play them in game because I liked to break them in just right. After the season was up I would get a new pair for AAU and the summer. So that would be 2 sneakers a year and that worked just fine for me.
I would say I played a lot but there’s people that played even more than me. If you’re someone trying to get a scholarship you may want to buy a pair of sneakers for each season and get a practice pair. This way your shoes are fresh and ready to go when it’s game time.
4) Question: Which brands are the best?
Answer: There’s plenty of brands out there that make good sneakers but the king of the mountain is still Nike. They sell the most and make the best quality. You can never go wrong purchasing from them.
But Nike isn’t the end all be all these days. Adidas and Under Armour have made up some serious ground in the last few years. They have top athletes too repping them and they make really well made sneakers. I’ve owned basketball shoes from all of these companies in the past and have been equally satisfied – Nike is still my go to, though.
Companies like Reebok and And 1 are on the next tier down. These can work if you’re a men’s leaguer but if you’re serious I would stick to the top three brands I mentioned up top.
5) Question: How long and how to break in basketball shoes?
Answer: I have one rule I follow when it comes to game day – never try something new. I remember my friends would gulp down an energy drink or a 5 hour or something like that for first time 5 minutes before a game. That’s a terrible idea.
You don’t want the first time you experience those types of things in game. Try it out before practice and see how it makes you feel.
The same can be said with basketball shoes. Don’t buy a new pair of sneakers and wear them in game right away. They’ll feel stiff and uncomfortable.
One way to break them in would be to just wear them around the house or maybe for a day or two in school. I would avoid wearing them outside, though.
Your best bet is to get your shoes before the season starts and just practice with them for a few weeks. This time when the first game comes around, your shoes will fit your feet like a glove.
6) Question: How do I prevent my shoes from smelling?
Answer: We all know that kid that had smelly shoes – it might have even been you! There’s a few things you can do to keep your kicks smelling good and the best thing you can do is always change your socks.
If you’re constantly wearing drenched socks your sneakers will begin to smell foul quickly. Always bring a spare set of socks with you and this is especially true if you’re at basketball camp or playing AAU where you can play multiple games a day. After every game and practice make sure to put on a new pair of socks (this will help prevent blisters too).
Another thing you can do is let your shoes air out. Don’t just finish your game and cram them into your bag or trunk until the next game. Sit them outside and let them get some fresh air.
Also, you have to shower after every game too. Think about how much you sweat after a game or practice. It’s a lot and your feet probably sweat the most.
7) Question: How to restore traction on basketball shoes?
Answer: Once traction is gone it’s best to purchase a new pair of shoes. There’s products that claim they can help restore grip but I wouldn’t entirely trust them.
The best thing you can do is to prevent your soles from wearing down in the first place. I mentioned this up top but it’s worth mentioning again. Don’t wear you b-ball shoes in everyday life and especially don’t wear them outside. This will lessen your grip very quickly because cement acts like sandpaper.
Also, dust and debris acts like sandpaper as well. You might want to think about purchasing a sticky mat to help clean the bottom of your shoes in game. All you have to do is step on it and it removes the dust and particles right off. You’ll feel extra grippy too.
I know a lot of people will spit on the floor and then scuff their shoes back and forth over it. This is a good idea if you’re sliding a little and don’t have a mat to step on.
Lastly, you need to clean your soles after every game. Take a damp towel, wash cloth or tooth brush and just get all the stuff off. This might seem small but it does a lot in the long term.
8) Question: Can I buy basketball shoes online?
Answer: I honestly think the best option is to go to the store and try on the shoes yourself. This way you can get the perfect fit and you can test out the ankle support. You can see if they’re comfortable and feel right too.
I’m from a small town, though, and to get a good pair of sneakers I would have to go about 30 minutes to get to the mall. Rides aren’t always available and sometimes you just need to order online.
There’s a lot of benefits to ordering online too. First off, you can basically find any shoe you want and this may not be case if you go to Dicks or Sports Authority. Also, you can usually find any color you want online to match your team’s jerseys.
Lastly, most major retailers offer returns. So if you get the wrong size or put them on and you really don’t like the way they feel, you can always return them and get your money back.
9) Question: How important is ankle support?
Answer: I personally think this is one of the most important, if not the most important, aspect to consider. Your ankles are one of the weakest parts of your body and it’s extremely easy to roll them. Steph Curry almost lost his career because of ankle injuries and Grant Hill basically did lose the prime of his career because of his ankles.
High tops and ankle braces are definitely recommended if you have suffered from injuries to this area of your body.
I personally think it’s more than just that, though. I think every part of the shoe matters when it comes to this. The only thing you can really do is get a quality pair of shoes from a name brand.
There’s ankle exercises you can do too that’ll help. Here’s a good article that’ll help.
10) Question: How important are your basketball shoes?
Answer: I’ve seen people discount the importance of having a quality pair of basketball shoes but that’s nonsense. Your shoes matter.
You may not be much faster or jump higher with a nice pair of sneakers but you’ll definitely notice a difference. You’ll be able to cut a little harder, your first step will be a little faster and you’ll just feel more confident.
But most importantly, you’ll be safer. I’ve seen some serious and gruesome basketball injuries in my life and I’m not saying having a bad pair of shoes was the cause of them but there’s risk in playing basketball.
I’ve seen many people tear their ACL’s and one time I saw someone dislocate their leg at their knee – it was the worst thing I ever saw. You want to take every precaution possible and having the right pair of sneakers will help here.
Ball With The Best This Year!
Basketball is a game of movement and in order to be at your best you’ll need a top of the line shoe. Get the right one you’ll get explosive movements, comfort, protection and excellent traction. Get the wrong one and you might end up rolling an ankle or worst.
No matter your needs or budget there’s a shoe on this list that’ll work perfectly for you.
If you have any questions you can comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as quickly as possible. You can search around the basketball section up top for more tips to help your game too.
Are you ready to step onto the court with your new kicks?