If you love biking and want a little assistance in the pedaling department you may be interested in one of the best electric bikes.
These products are very convenient and there’s a few things you must consider before making a purchase – I’ll show you what’s most important and my top picks for the year.
How To Pick The Perfect Electric Bike
In order to get the best bike possible think about the following when making your selection:
- Your personal needs and where you intend on biking
- Look at battery strength and life
- Understand what an E-bike does and the laws of your state
Before you do anything you should consider where you live and the purpose of your riding. Someone who lives in San Francisco and the hilly West Coast will want a different product than someone in the urban jungle of NYC. San Francisco has steep inclines and declines and you’ll want a bike with more gears to help you out in that department.
In NYC you can get a way with only a few gears.
Also, are you going to bike for leisure, exercise or commuting? There’s several different bikes to choose from, including:
- Electric Mountain Bike: This bike is all terrain and can tackle steep mountains. It usually comes with full suspension, has strong brakes and multiple gears. These products do tend to be pretty heavy, though.
- Road Bike: Most people who purchase a road bike do so for exercise so you won’t find too many electric road bikes to select from but you’ll find a few.
- Hybrid/Commuting Bike: This is the perfect bike for anyone living in cities and looking for a good way to commute, get around and run errands. With one of these products you’ll be able to zip through town with ease.
- Electric Folding Bikes: There’s actually a bunch of folding bikes – mountain, hybrid and commuter. These bikes are lightweight and are perfect for commuters who have limited storage space and commute by train or bus. You can fold them up and carry them into your apartment, office or car.
After you determine the type of E-bike you want you should look at battery strength next. Depending on the power and type of battery you’ll likely get at least 25 miles per charge .Also, you’ll easily get between 500 to 1000 charges too. This means the battery will last over 30,000 miles.
Lastly, you need to understand the limits of an E-bike and different laws in your area. Most states and countries have a cut off on how fast these products can go and it can range anywhere from 20 MPH to 30 MPH. Some areas require a license and insurance (not many but a few do). You can learn more about E-bike laws here.
So now that you know what to look for let’s take a look at my top picks now.
ProdecoTech Mariner 8 Speed Folding Bike
The ProdecoTech Mariner is the perfect e-bike for someone who has limited storage space or someone that commutes to work. I say this because this is a folding bike and is easy to transport/store. If you have to get onto the subway or bus you can bring this product along with you. You won’t take up a lot of space and it’s light enough to carry around (44 pounds).
Here’s a video that goes more in depth about the Mariner and shows how it folds up:
Pretty cool, right?
Some of my favorite features include:
- A strong battery that can go up to 40 miles on a single charge. This should be more than enough to get you where ever you need to go.
- Top speed up to 17 miles is perfect for city/suburban streets and college campuses,
- Anti-rusting materials through out ensures you’ll have this bike in pristine condition for a long, long time.
- Velo plush seat makes the Mariner a delight to sit on for long periods of time and improves comfort.
- You have complete control over when you get extra power. To use the propulsion system all you do is twist the throttle.
- 8 different speeds so you can tackle a variety of terrains including steep inclines.
Plus this bike has an awesome look and design. Because this is such a quality product it’s pretty pricey. Do I think it’s worth that? Absolutely! But if you can’t afford that there’s plenty of more reasonably priced bikes on this list.
If the last product was out of your price range, the Columbia Prestige is a bike worth considering – it’s a lot more affordable. If you plan on facing advanced terrain like very steep and long hills or you want to go off road, you may want to look elsewhere. The Prestige is made more for flat streets in a city or on the pier of a beach community.
That doesn’t mean it’s low quality, either. It’s just made for commuters and nothing too crazy (it’s only 1 speed). If that sounds like you, you’ll like that this bike comes with:
- 36 volt battery delivers a good amount of power and assists you tremendously in getting to where you need to go.
- Alloy frame is weather resistant and durable You won’t have to worry about replacing this product anytime soon.
- Pretty strong battery and you can get up to 20 miles on a single charge. Most people biking to work or running errands won’t even come close to that on a single trip.
- Alloy V brakes ensure you have complete control over stopping and this improves safety.
I mentioned this bike is pretty affordable and it definitely is. Columbia was the first bicycle company in America and started in 1877. They know bikes and you’ll definitely appreciate their craftsmanship if you decide on the Prestige.
Also, they make versions for both men and women.
Ancheer Power Plus Electric Mountain Bike
If you’re more of an adventurer the first two bikes probably didn’t do much for you – they’re made for commuters and people looking for an easy way to run errands.
But what about those that like the off road the best or people that want to do a little mountain biking? If you’re asking yourself that question you should definitely think about the Ancheer Power Plus (the Power Plus works in urban environments too).
This product delivers in rough terrain and is built to help you push your limits. It comes with massive 26 inch, all terrain tires and 21 different speeds. No matter what the terrain you face you’ll be able to tackle it on this bike.
Some top features include:
- Front and rear disc brakes are the best you can get. You won’t have to worry about not stopping because of this.
- On a single charge you can get around 20 to 30 miles of power. That ensures you have a nice, long day out.
- Made from both durable alloy and carbon steel. This product is made to last and to keep going.
- Top speed of 25 MPH lets you really open things up.
- Bright LED headlight means you can ride this bike whenever you want in complete safety.
- 3 Speed Smart Meter lets you choose how much power assist you get. When you feel like getting more exercise you can put it to low and when you want a little extra help you can put it to high.
- This bike is ergonomically designed so you get the most comfort possible.
- You can remove the battery if you feel like shedding a few pounds.
Even though the Power Plus is so well made and comes with so many great features, it’s actually quite affordable and this bike might just be the best value on this list.
Enzo Electric Folding Bike
Here we have another convenient folding bike and this Enzo product is a must consider for every commuter. This bike is high performing, durable and most of all reliable. You won’t have to worry about parts breaking down or anything like that.
Also, this e-bike comes with well made hydraulic disc brakes. If you’re looking for top of the line stopping and complete control, look no further than these brakes. You’ll feel safe when it comes time to brake.
Some other aspects you’ll enjoy includes:
- 30 to 50 mile range, per charge ensures you won’t be left hanging on your daily commute.
- 7 speeds means you’ll be able to climb hills with ease.
- Gel seat provides a ton of comfort and you won’t mind sitting on it for extended periods of time.
- Comes with a storage bag so you can carry along your stuff or carry home groceries.
- LED display shows you exactly how much battery power you have left. This gives you peace of mind and you’ll never have to guess when you’re going to run out.
- Folds up into a small, compact package and you can store in a small apartment very easily.
- Rear and front LED lights lets cars be able to see you in the dark.
- Comes in 8 different colors so you get the exact look you desire.
This bike certainly isn’t cheap. If you have that to spend and this bike suits your needs, I would definitely consider purchasing. This truly is one of the best e-bikes on the market and I know you’ll agree with that if you decide on it.
X-Treme Trail Maker Electric Bike
If you’re looking for an electric bike that’ll excel in both urban environments and off road environments, the E-Treme Trail Maker is a product you’ll want to think about. The Trail maker works as well in both situations.
One thing I really like about this bike is despite its rugged ability it’s still pretty lightweight at 55 pounds. This is because it has an aluminum frame that’s built to last but isn’t too heavy. If you have to transport this bike for any reason you’ll find it not to hard to do so.
You’ll also like that the Trail Maker has:
- Disc brakes are the highest quality you can get and you’ll be able to stop on a dime because of these brakes.
- Front suspension is why this product can handle so many different roads and trails. It soaks up shock and delivers a smooth riding experience.
- You can turn off the motor if you feel like getting some extra exercise.
- Rust resistant and this bike was made to stand up to Mother Nature’s worst.
- Gets up to 25 miles per charge and this should be more than enough for whatever you need to do.
- You can remove the battery to charge it inside. This saves you a little effort because you won’t have to lug the bike indoors to charge.
- LED headlights and reflectors all over the bank ensures you will be spotted if you’re riding in the dark.
- Battery indicators shows you exactly how much battery you have left and this makes sure you’ll never get stranded.
Maybe the most astonishing thing about the Trail Maker is it doesn’t cost too much. This is another bike I would say is an excellent value and you’ll for sure get your money’s worth.
ProdecoTech Rebel X 9 Speed
Here we have another ProdecoTech product and I can sum up the Rebel X with two words – high quality. This is a bike that delivers in basically every category and is a product that won’t let you down.
The Rebel X may not be the first choice for commuters and people looking to go on leisurely rides. This bike is meant to tackle rough terrain and is truly made for mountain/off trail bikers. All you have to do is look at the fat tires to know this is true. The reason these tires look like they can handle everything is because they can handle everything.
If that’s not enough, you’ll like the top features which include:
- 20 MPH top speed ensures you’ll be able to cruise with minimal effort.
- Well made hydraulic brakes makes sure you’re in complete control over the bike and stopping.
- A single charge can last up to 25 miles which is plenty for most people.
- 9 different speeds come in handy when you’re going up or down steep hills.
- 6061 aluminum frame is strong and is meant to last no matter what you put it through.
- Despite its frame it only weighs 66 pounds. I wouldn’t say this is lightweight but it’s not overly heavy.
The Rebel X is most likely more than most people can or will want to spend. If you’re a mountain bike aficionado, however, and truly want one of the best electric mountain bikes, this is one you should consider if you can afford.
Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 Electric Mountain Bike
If you’re dead set on getting an electric mountain bike but really, really, really don’t want to spend several thousands, the Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 is worth thinking about. This bike gives you good performance on trail and won’t break the bank.
You’ll be able to climb mountains and comfortably go down declines because this bike comes with 21 different speeds. Because of this you’ll be able to handle any incline/decline that you face.
Some other aspects that make the CX1 worth it includes:
- 3 different pedal assist levels lets you choose from low, medium or high. When you feel like getting extra help you can ride it on high and when you feel like taking over a bit you can ride on low or medium.
- Can be assembled very quickly and shouldn’t take any more than 10 minutes to do so.
- Can travel up to 25 to 31 miles on a single charge and you can reach speeds up to 15 miles. This should be more than enough for most bikers.
- Large, oversized 26 inch tires ensures a smooth ride and ensures you can tackle bumpy terrain.
- Reflectors all over the bike makes sure you’re visible if it’s night time.
- Only weighs 47 pounds which makes the CX1 very easy to transport if you have to.
- Front suspension eats up bumps and shocks for a better ride.
I mentioned this bike won’t break the bank and I meant it. This makes this product one of the cheapest e-bikes on the market.
It comes with a ton of reviews on Amazon too and if you’d like to check out what other customers are saying about this bike, click below:
Magnum Metro Electric Bike
The Magnum Metro is a bike I would describe as all purpose and works in many situation. The only terrain you’ll want to avoid is extreme terrain or off road. Besides that it should work well in any city, community or college campus.
One thing that’s really cool about the Metro is it has an easy step through frame and that makes it simple to get on and off. I don’t know if you’ve over owned a bike that was a pain to get on but if you have you’ll understand how key of a feature that is.
Some other key features include:
- 6 different pedal assist modes so you get the perfect amount of power depending on where you are and how you feel.
- Very large tires means you glide over bumps and cracks in the street and sidewalk.
- Ergonomic grips are extremely comfortable to hold on too and won’t irritate your hands.
- Reflective tires and front and rear lights means you”ll be easy to spot in the dark.
- Can get more than 30 miles per charge. This is a lot of power for a single charge.
- Can reach up to 20 miles with throttle and 28 miles without it.
- 8 different speeds will help out when you’re facing a hill or going down one.
The Metro isn’t a cheap bike. Every commuter will love what they get here, though, and this bike is worth that price. It comes with a full year warranty too and I’m sure you’ll get much more than that.
Pedego Trail Tracker
Before I mentioned a bike that I’d describe as “high quality. The Pedego Trail Tracker is even better than that. It’s really, really, really, high quality. In all honesty this is probably my favorite product on this list and is one that everyone will love regardless of needs.
First thing you’ll notice on the Trail Tracker is the massive fat tires. These tires are 24 inches and are made to tackle any terrain. You can roll over man holes in the city, over roots and rocks off trail and through the sand in beach communities. You can literally take this bike anywhere.
If you still need more convincing, you’ll like that the Trail Tracker comes with a:
- Frame designed to be tough and responsive. It won’t feel like you’re riding a stiff bike.
- Soft seat and has a lot of padding. This is a seat you’ll actually like to sit on.
- 5 different pedal assist speeds means you’ll get the perfect amount of power, from a lot to a little.
- LCD with a USB port allows you to charge your phone or bike computer.
- Front light improves safety and makes sure you’re always seen and can see what’s ahead.
- High end geared motor lets you climb mountains with ease.
- Powerful disc brakes makes sure you can stop on a dime and seven speed helps you even more when it comes to inclines.
Because this bike is such high quality it’s going to cost a lot. How much? A lot. Obviously not everyone has that to spend. If you do have that to spend and still aren’t sure, watch this video that sums the Trail Tracker up:
As you can see this product is worth every penny.
ProdecoTech Phantom 400 V6
Although the ProdecoTech Phantom 400 isn’t cheap, it is the most affordable Prodecotech product on this list. That doesn’t mean it’s low quality, though, and this bike delivers in every department you’d want it to.
This bike performs too and you’ll get up to 20 MPH of speed and you’ll get between 25 to 35 miles of distance. This should satisfy everyone’s needs and ensures you’ll get to where you need to go quickly and without the battery dying.
Some awesome features include:
- MonoShock fork does a good job soaking up shocks and different bumps.
- Twist throttle gives you boost of speed.
- Battery indicator shows exactly how much battery you have left. The last thing you want is to be without battery when you need it and that won’t happen because of this.
- 52 pounds isn’t light but it’s certainly not overly heavy either.
- 8 speeds makes sure you can tackle hills without killing yourself.
This bike is pretty expensive too. It does come with perfect reviews as well. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this product, click below:
Ancheer Folding Electric Bikes
If the last few bikes were too rich for you blood you’ll like this Ancheer folding bike – it’s high quality and ultra convenient. Because it’s a folding bike it’s perfect for people that live in apartments without a ton of storage space. It’s also perfect for people that live in cities and expect to hop on subway cars and buses. This product folds up into a nice, compact package that can easily be carried around.
Also, this bike comes with premium disc brakes. These are the kind of brakes that put you in complete control and you won’t have to worry about not being able to stop.
It also comes with:
- The pedal assist feature will give you up to 15 MPH of speed.
- Aluminum alloy frame is both durable and weather resistant. It won’t rust or break down. Plus, it makes this bike incredibly lightweight and it’ll only weigh 41 pounds.
- 7 speed shifter comes in handy when you have to go up a hill.
- Strong battery ensures you’ll get at least 25 miles per charge.
- Adjustable seat height so this product works for everyone no matter how tall you are or if you’re a male or female.
- Slip resistant tires won’t skid out if the road or sidewalk is a little slick.
- Extremely comfortable seat makes this product a delight to sit on for long periods of time.
- Premium shock absorbers help you when you’re going over bumps.
You can ride this Ancheer bike pretty much everywhere too (road and off-road). I mentioned this e-bike is pretty inexpensive too and it is. That’s an extremely fair price for what you’re getting and everyone who wants a folding bike should consider this product.
Cyclamatic CX2 Folding Electric Bike
Like the last product, the Cyclamatic CX2 is an affordable folding electric bike and one that is more than worth its low price tag.
Like the last product you saw, the CX2 can be used in many different situations too. It comes with a quality 6 speed Shimano gears system. This ensures you’ll be able to conquer any hill that you come across.
Additionally this e-bike features:
- Kenda tires that work in all weather conditions and makes sure you won’t skid out if it’s wet.
- Front light and reflectors improves safety and others will easily be able to spot you in the dark.
- 3 level pedal assist mode lets you choose how much power you get. The top speed you’ll get from the pedal assist is 15 MPH.
- On a full charge you can get up to 31 miles of distance.
- V-brakes are quality and will help you stop on a dime.
- Battery is easy to take off and won’t cause a ton of stress.
- Steel frame is strong and you can expect this bike to last multiple years.
The design is made so you can easily hop on and off too. If you’re looking to save a little cash this year I would definitely consider this product. It definitely delivers and I know you’ll agree if you decide on the CX2.
The Pedego Interceptor is an expensive e-bike and one that excels in basically all categories. This bike is reliable and one that you’ll have for years to come. The Interceptor is loaded with top of the line features too.
One of my favorites is the state of the art geared motor. What this motor does is help you when you have to go up a steep incline. You won’t have to exert a super human amount of effort anymore just to get up a hill.
Some other aspects you’ll like include:
- 5 levels of pedal assist means you’ll get the perfect amount of power at all times. You can have it from very to low to very high.
- LCD display with a USB cord ensures you can charge your phone or any other gadget when you’re biking. This is definitely a handy little feature to have.
- Front and rear lights make sure you’re very easy to see if you decide to go out for a night time ride.
- Kevlar tires are almost impossible to pop. The last thing you want to do is pop a tire far from home and these tires keep that from happening.
- Seven speed shifter goes even further making sure hills are easy to climb.
Unfortunately this bike is out of the price range for most people and costs a lot. If you’re lucky enough to have that to spend on a bike this year I would definitely consider the Interceptor. It’ll give you the ride you’ve been looking for.
Ego Bike 500W Mountain Bike
If you’re looking for a bike that can handle anything, bumpy roads, steep inclines, off trail, sand and snow, you should consider the Ego Bike 500W. This bike truly is all terrain and can tackle whatever you throw at it.
It’s pretty fast and has a good shifting system too – it can reach speeds up to 20 MPH and has 7 gears. You’ll be able to get wherever you need to go quickly and with less effort than a 1 speed bike.
If that’s not enough, you’ll like that this product comes with:
- Rear disc brakes give you complete control over your stopping and ensures you can brake on a dime.
- Aluminum frame is ultra strong and is weather resistant. You won’t have to worry about this Ego bike rusting up or anything like that.
- Variable speed control lets you choose how much power you get. All you have to to do is throttle the handle.
- Weighs 58 pounds which isn’t lightweight but certainly isn’t overly heavy either.
- Fat tires that assist in all terrains too. You won’t feel wobbly or like you’re going to tip over.
Even though this bike is ultra high quality it doesn’t come at an ultra high price. This is a price that’ll work for a lot of people, just like this bike in general.
Onway All Terrain 7 Speed Electric Bike
The Onway All Terrain, like all the name suggests, is a bike that works everywhere. If you want to take it up steep hills and off trail, you can do that. If you want to use it to commute to work and to do your errands, you can do that too. And if you want to take it onto the beach and ride around in the sand, you can do that too. You can even ride this bike through the snow if you have to.
The reason the All Terrain is so versatile is its sturdy design and its oversized, 26 inch fat tires. These tires will plow through anything and provide you with a stable ride no matter what you’re doing.
Some other aspects that make this e-bike worth it include:
- TEKTRO mechanical disc brakes help you stop on a dime.
- 7 speed shifting system lets you easily traverse inclines and safely go down declines.
- LCD display gives you 9 different pedal assist modes. This is perfect for anyone that wants different amount of power and who faces different terrains.
- Max speed of 20 MPH is pretty fast and you can go 46 miles on a single charge. There won’t be many times you’ll be going over that before getting a chance to recharge.
The price isn’t cheap, but for the quality that you’re getting it isn’t too expensive either. That’s not that bad especially when you factor in the warranties. You get a 3 year warranty on the frame and 18 months on the motor, display, controller and battery. That’s a great guarantee and you’ll have a hard time finding a better one.
X-Treme Santa Cruz Beach Cruiser
If you live in a beach community or somewhere along the ocean, the X-Treme Santa Cruz Beach Cruiser can work for you. This product is extremely comfortable to ride and is one that you’ll love to cruise around on.
One thing that’s really amazing is how far you can go on a single charge – up to 70 miles! I don’t know about you but there’s very few bike trips I’ve taken that have gone that far. So no matter where you’re going you should always have the pedal assist feature to help you out.
Some other top features include:
- 9 speed shifting means you’ll be able to tackle steep hills if you have to,
- Tektro disc brakes are very strong and reliable. You’ll be in complete control with these brakes.
- Aluminum materials ensure there won’t be any rusting and makes this product weather resistant.
- Kenda high end beach tires are extremely grippy and gives you a sense of stability.
- USB charging port lets you charge your phone and other electronics while you bike.
- Suntour front suspension system absorbs shocks and allows for a nice and smooth ride.
- 5 different pedal assist modes gives you the perfect amount of power for how you’re feeling.
You can get this bike in black or blue too. So how much is it going to cost? It’s pretty expensive. That’s a good price to me and right where I would expect it to be.
Goplus Folding Electric Bike
The Goplus folding e-bike is one of the most affordable electric likes on this list and on the market. If you’re looking for a product to take on the bumpy off road or plan on facing extreme terrain, you’ll probably want to look elsewhere. This bike is made more for commuters in urban environments, suburban environments and college campuses.
If that’s where you plan on biking, you’ll really like this bike. It folds up into a nice little package and you can store it in a small space. Even if you live in a small dorm or apartment you’ll have enough space. You’ll be able to carry around this e-bike on the subway and on the bus too.
Some other aspects you’ll like includes:
- You can ride up to 20 miles on a single charge which is perfect for college students and commuters.
- Aluminum alloy frame is strong and will last through the years.
- Front fork is made from strong carbon steel and this ensures you get a smooth ride.
- Can reach a top speed of 21 miles which is pretty impressive.
- Lithium battery can be recharged hundreds of times and will last year after year.
This bike is very reasonable too. That’s a really incredible price and one that should fit into almost anyone’s budget. Just make sure this bike fits your needs if you decide on buying and don’t expect to take it mountain biking – this is a city/college campus bike
Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent Air 500W
The Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent Air is HIGH PERFORMING and is a bike that’s designed to replace a car. If you live in the country or the suburbs that may not be the case but it certainly can be in a city or on a college campus.
The reason this bike performs so well is the Speed Pedelecs allow this bike to go a whopping 28 MPH – that’s cruising! Most e-bikes cap out at around 20 MPH so to have one that goes so fast is pretty amazing.
If you’re looking for more you’ll get it. Some top features include:
- High tech and innovative torque sensing technology. What this does is automatically delivers the amount of pedal assist you’ll need based on a sensor that reads your pedal effort up to 1000 times per second. You won’t have to deal with a throttle because of this.
- Hydraulic disc brakes are extremely strong and the best you can get. You’ll need good stopping power if you’re going 28 MPH and you’ll get that here.
- Can get up to a whopping 100 miles per charge depending on how much of the motor you use.
- Different modes so you can cap out how much power you want. You can go from unassisted, to top speed of 15 MPH, to top speed of 24 MPH, to top speed of 28 MPH.
- Suspension fork is a life saver when you’re going over manhole covers and other bumps.
- Kenda tires ensure you’re nice and stable and won’t wobble at fast speeds.
This bike truly is one of the best electric bikes on this list and on the market. The price ranges depending on size and features. If you can afford that I would definitely consider this product. You or any person would be lucky to own the CrossCurrent.
Addmotor Moton All Terrain Electric Bike
The Addmotor Moton is another bike that you can basically take every where – the Moton will satisfy both city people and those looking to adventure into nature and off the beaten path.
This bike is so versatile for two reason. The first is the frame is really solid and sturdy. It’s made from aluminum alloy and it won’t rust or break down for any reason. The second reason it works in all situations is the massive all terrain Kenda tires. This bike rocks 26 inch fat tires and they’ll smooth out any ride.
Some other cool features include:
- 7 different speeds help out in case you have some steep hills to climb.
- Max speed of 22 MPH is more than most bikes and is pretty fast.
- Can go up to 50 miles on a single charge. This battery will easily last no matter where you go.
- Double suspension is a life saver on bumpy roads. It absorbs shocks and ensures you get to bike comfortably.
- 5 inch LCD display that comes with a USB charger. You’ll be able to charge your phone and other electronics with this.
This is another bike that I would describe as expensive but definitely worth it. If you expect to ride in all different terrains and places you should definitely think about the Moton.
Electric Bike FAQ’S
1) Question: How much will an electric bike cost?
Answer: Obviously an electric bike has a feature that separates it from an ordinary bike – the pedal assist motor you get. While you can find good deals on these products, it’s rare that you find one that’s “cheap.”
For instance, when it comes to a road bike or mountain bike you can find entry level ones for a few hundred, although higher end ones cost several thousands.
Entry level electric bikes cost around $500 to $600 and there’s not many of those out there. If you want a quality e-bike, I would say you’ll want to pay anywhere from $800 to $3000 and more.
The type of e-bike you get effects the cost too. If you’re getting a commuter bike, it’s going to cost you less than other types. The reason why? Commuter bikes don’t have all the bells and whistles of a mountain bike or road bike. They won’t need a complicated gear system or a high end suspension system. The terrain commuters bike on just doesn’t call for it.
But a mountain bike and road bike are completely different. These products need high end materials, have many gears, and extremely well made brakes. The conditions these bikers ride in is more dangerous and they require a safer bike. That takes money to accomplish and because of that, e-mountain bikes tend to cost more.
2) Question: Can I buy an electric bike online?
Answer: Usually when you purchase a bike you want to do so in person. You could be potentially spending thousands and you want to make sure the product you decide on is perfect for you. You’ll want to check the size, how comfortable the seat is, the brakes and all other aspects.
But electric bikes aren’t the most common bikes on earth. Even if you have a bike shop near your house, there’s a good chance they won’t have e-bikes in stock. And if they do, they might not have the one you want or one that suits your needs.
Because of this, it’s fine to make your purchase online. Make sure to do your research before buying the product, though. Look at the reviews of customers and read about all the pros and cons.
Also, there’s plenty of reputable online retailers that’ll have high quality e-bikes in stock.
3) Question: What are the different types of e-bikes?
Answer: There’s a few different electric bikes you can get and each are made for different terrains and different people. There’s 3 main kinds you can get and they are:
- Commuter: Commuter e-bikes are pretty minimalist in terms of design and they don’t usually have the hulking appearance of a mountain bike. They’re lightweight and made to maneuver in tight spots. These products have a few gears but typically not in the 20’s or anything like that – you’ll usually find 7 or more gears. These are usually the cheapest of all kinds. The tires aren’t as rugged as mountain bike tires either.
- Mountain Bike: Mountain e-bikes are like normal mountain bikes – they’re made from sturdy materials, have multiple gears so you can get up hills easily, and have high quality brakes. These products also have top of the line and rugged tires. Because of this, electric mountain bikes tend to cost more.
- Folding Bikes: Folding e-bikes are very convenient and they’re perfect for any one that’s short on space. These products collapse very easily into a compact package and you can store them anywhere. You can easily take them onto a bus or train too. You can get a folding e-bike that’s made for commuting and mountain biking.
There’s not too many electric road bikes because that would defeat the purpose of the product. People road biking are generally looking to get exercise and wouldn’t want the pedal assist feature.
4) Question: How fast can an e-bike go?
Answer: When some people hear electric bike or hear that these products come with a motor, they think these bikes operate like a moped or motorcycle. That’s not the case, though – you can’t just throttle and sit back and go. The motor is meant to assist pedaling and make it easier to go faster.
Each country and state has their own laws regarding electric bikes and usually these products are capped at certain speeds. For instance, you can’t have a motor that helps you go faster than 15 MPH in the UK, 20 MPH in California and 30 MPH in Idaho.
Do I think a cop is going to pull you over if you’re a few miles over that or even know that you have a motor on the bike? Probably not. But most bikes are designed not to go over those speeds and the highest I would except is 30 MPH, with most being in the 15 to 25 MPH range.
5) Question: How long can I go on a single charge?
Answer: There’s isn’t one single answer to this question and you have to look at the battery itself to see what you’ll get. For instance, a moderately priced e-bike might get you 25 to 30 miles on a single charge and more expensive ones might give you 50 miles.
You know what the main difference between those batteries is, besides distance? The first is a lot less expensive to replace when you need to get a new battery. A moderately priced battery that gets you around 30 miles will cost $150 to $300 to replace and the one that gives you 50 miles can cost $600, $700 and even as high as $2,000! That’s just the battery too, not the whole bike.
All batteries wear out eventually and most bikes will give you around 1000 charges. Depending on how much you ride you’ll get a year to a few years out of your battery. You need to determine how important it is to get that extra 25 miles with the expensive battery because it’s going to cost you to get a new one.
6) Question: How many gears should my bike have?
Answer: It honestly depends on the terrain you expect to ride on. If you’re someone that rides in urban areas and don’t expect to face too many hills, then you can get away with less gears. There’s even some bikes that come with one gear.
However, if you’re purchasing a mountain bike or just live in an area with a lot inclines and declines, you’ll want a product with more gears – there’s plenty that go into the twenties and more.
7) Question: What are the different laws in states and countries?
Answer: Every country and state classifies e-bikes differently and have different rules about how fast they can go and other things regarding safety.
There’s a few terms you need to know when determining legality in the US and they are:
- Identity: How does legislation identify these products.
- Type: How does the law look at an e-bike as a vehicle (motorcycle, bike, motorized cycle).
- Max Speed: How fast can you go with the motor alone.
- Max Power: How big of an engine you’re allowed to have.
- Helmet: Whether you have to wear a helmet or not.
- Age: How old you have to be in order to ride one of these products.
- License and insurance: Do you need to have a special license and insurance to operate an e-bike.
I’m not going to go over every single law of every single state but know some states require you to get a license, others have speed limits of anywhere from 20 to 30 miles, about half require you to wear a helmet and half have a minimum age of around 14 to 16.
8) Question: Are e-bikes safe?
Answer: Again, some people have a misconception of what an electric bike is. Some people look at it like a motorcycle and believe it’s dangerous to own one.
While there might be a slight risk of danger because of the increase in speed you get, I wouldn’t say these products are any more dangerous than ones without a motor. It’s not like you just hit a pedal and you’re flying 50 MPH down the side walk.
Really these bikes just help you go faster and farther with less effort. As long as you’re alert and you don’t go too fast in tight areas, you’ll be perfectly fine.
9) Question: Do I need a special helmet for an e-bike?
Answer: Wearing a helmet on any bike is definitely recommended and in a lot of states it’s required. I wouldn’t say you need a special helmet if you purchase an e-bike but I would definitely buy one that’s high quality and very protective.
There’s a few differences between a road bike helmet and mountain bike helmet too. The first is usually lightweight and minimalist and the second covers more of your head and is more protective.
When you’re mountain biking there’s larger risk for injury and you need a helmet that’s going to block against everything. It’s not uncommon to see a mountain bike with a full face mask.
Both road bike helmets and mountain bike helmets come with MIPS technology. What this does is protects rotation forces and stands for Multi-directional Impact Protection System. If you take a tumble and hit the cement, the helmet will move with your head instead of staying rigid. This improves safety and ensures you’re less likely to get a serious head injury.
Other features you’ll want to consider when purchasing a helmet is:
- Ventilation: You want to make sure your helmet keeps air moving, this way you won’t overheat or oversweat. Some helmets come with over 20 vents and keep your head cool all day long.
- Straps: Next you want to make sure the straps are comfortable and easy to adjust. Some have magnetic buckles that come right off and others don’t.
Lastly, you need to get the right fit. Some helmets have a fit system that allows you to tighten and loosen the helmet so you get the perfect fit. I would definitely recommend getting a product like this. It’s always better to have a custom fit and not have it too constricting or loose enough so it falls over your eyes.
Instead of going over every step on fitting a helmet, here’s a video that’ll go over everything you need to know:
Not too bad, right?
10) Question: What type of person would benefit from an e-bike?
Answer: Honestly, I think everyone can benefit from having one of these products. It doesn’t take away from your riding experience and just makes life a little easier. You can stay out a little longer because you won’t be exhausted as fast.
The group I would say that would benefit the most is commuters, though. Because you’ll be going a little faster than usual and you’ll get a little more time in the morning and you won’t get as tired. You can just zip around town in record time.
Also, there’s e-bikes that are foldable. This allows you to take these products onto the bus or train.
11) Question: What type of brakes should I get?
Answer: In order to be safe, you’re going to need a high quality braking system. If you get the right one you’ll feel confident no matter where you are and you’ll be able to spot whenever you want without any issues – get a low quality set and you may find yourself unsure and unsafe.
My favorite kind of brakes are disc brakes. They have good stopping power, easy to use and are good in slick conditions. If you see a bike with disc brakes you can be sure you’re going to feel good when it comes time to brake.
Ride Around Without Straining Yourself!
Electric bikes are the perfect product. You get all the benefits of riding around in the fresh air, and exercise of biking, without having to kill yourself. Whenever you need a little extra boost the motor will help your cruise along. There’s a bike for everyone too and no matter your needs you’ll find one that’s perfect for you on this list.
If you have any questions make sure to comment below and I’ll respond very quickly. You can find more bike tips and reviews up top in the bike section.
Are you excited to ride around on your new bike?