If you’re looking to enjoy the outdoors you’ll want one of the best inflatable kayaks.
These products are ultra convenient and I’ll show you why you should purchase one – plus you’ll see my top picks for the year.
I’m sure there’s a kayak on this list that you’ll want to own.
Why You Should Choose An Inflatable Kayak
There’s a million things that make these prodcuts worth it and this video explains them all:
As you can see there’s a lot to love about these kayaks. Let’s get into to my top picks now.
Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame
Company: Advanced Elements
If you’re looking for a high quality solo kayak, the Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame is a product that you’ll want to consider. If you watched the video up top you saw the guy talk about Advanced Elements and how awesome of a brand they are – when you purchase from them you know you’re getting top of the line.
One thing I really like about this kayak is how easy it is to get it water ready. There’s no assembly or anything like that involved. All you have to do is unroll it, fill it up with air and get out there. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Some other top features include:
- Speed Valve and Twistlok ensures the valves on this kayak are compatible with basically all pumps on the market. This saves you a little stress and makes life more simple.
- The aluminium frame on this product rivals a hard shell kayak and you’ll be able to maneuver it well because of this.
- Very compact and it won’t take up a lot of space when you’re transporting it.
- You have plenty of room and you’ll have enough space to stretch out your legs. You’ll be able to bring along any gear that you want too.
- Padded seat is ultra comfortable and you’ll be able to paddle as long as possible.
- Strategically placed handles allow you to get the AdvancedFrame in the water without any issues.
- Not overly heavy and this kayak only weighs 34 pounds. Any person will be able to handle this product alone.
The weight capacity of this kayak is pretty high too and you can put up to 300 pounds into.
The price is pretty reasonable as well. For all that you’re getting this is an excellent deal and value.
NRS Outlaw II
The product you just saw was made for people going out by themselves. This one, however, is for people that want to bring along another person.
One aspect that you’re going to appreciate with the NRS Outlaw II is the fact it’s designed to take a beating. This is mainly because it’s made from PVC-coated polyester materials. Because of this it’ll easily slide over rocks and you won’t have to worry about it popping.
Some other benefits that make this kayak worth it includes:
- Drop Stitch floor insets can be inflated to a high degree so you can slice through waves and water.
- 39 inch width is another reason this product is so stable in rough waters.
- Handles on the front and back so you and your paddling partner can easily lift and drop this kayak into the water.
- You get a repair kit in case you put a hole anywhere on this product.
- Plenty of on room space and you and the other kayaker will have plenty of room for your stuff.
In terms of price, it’s right where you’d expect it to be too – it’s not overly expensive but not cheap either. This isn’t bad for a 2 person kayak. Anything higher and you might be stretching your budget and anything too much lower you’re getting into the low quality range.
Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler SL
The Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler SL is a kayak that’s made for serious fishermen and is one of the largest single paddle products on this list. If you’re looking for plenty of room for your tackle box, poles, nets and more this is a kayak worth considering.
Another reason this product is perfect for fishing is the hard bottom floor and Duratex tubes. The combination of the two ensures you can stand when you have something heavy on your line and you need a little extra leverage to reel it in.
If that’s not enough, you’ll like other benefits of this kayak including:
- Open cockpit allows you to easily enter and exit the Blackfoot.
- Self draining technology make sure all the water that gets inside leaves on its own without you needing to do anything.
- Larger than average foil is good in many different conditions and ensures you won’t get tangled in weeds or anything like that.
- Hook and loop strips from the back all the way to the front. This means you’ll be able to place the seat anywhere you want.
- Padded seat is very comfortable and you won’t have any unnecessary pains as long as you’re out there.
- Comes with a backpack travel bag and you’ll be able to carry this kayak easier than any other.
Since this is such a high quality product it’s going to cost a little extra to purchase. If you love fishing and are looking for one of the best inflatable kayaks to take to your favorite spot, this is one you’ll really like owning.
Aire Tributary Tomcat Tandem
The Aire Tributary Tomcat is perfect for anyone that wants a tandem kayak and expects to face several different water conditions. It’s designed so it can handle rivers and calm waters alike.
It’s very spacious too and you’ll easily be able to fit all your gear into it easily. In terms of dimensions, it’s 12 feet 9 inches long and 38 .5 inches wide. Also, it can fit up to 450 pounds of weight, which should be good enough for most duos.
Some other top features include:
- PVC-coated nylon beams gives you a lot of stability and you’ll feel confident riding in this product. This also makes this kayak very durable and you won’t have to worry about it tearing if it scuffs against a rock.
- Drains water automatically and you won’t have to do anything to assist with this.
- You get nice back support too and the seats in general are very comfortable to sit in.
- The is one of the easiest products to inflate and there’s protections built into it makes sure it doesn’t lose any air.
- 18 different cargo loops lets you attach all the gear that you want.
- You get a repair kit too and if anything happens to the Tomcat you’ll be good to go.
In terms of price it isn’t too bad. I know people that take this product into 3 to 5 rapids and if you’re in the same category, you’ll want to consider the Tomcat. It delivers in every way possible.
Advanced Elements Convertible
Company: Advanced Elements
Here we have another Advanced Elements kayak and unlike the first one you saw, this one is made for two people. Like the first one, however, the Convertible is high quality and is a product all anglers and other outdoor aficionados will love.
One thing I really, really like here is this product can actually be made into a kayak made for a single rower if you use the Single Deck Conversion option. So if you feel like going out there alone you can easily do that.
Some other aspects that make this product worth it includes:
- Aluminum ribs improve the way way this kayak tracks.
- 3 layers of materials make the Convertible very durable and it’ll be nearly impossible to puncture it.
- Ships already put together and all you have to do is inflate and set up the seats and you’ll be able to go.
- Extremely padded and high support means you can paddle and fish for as long as possible.
- You get a duffel bag to carry this kayak around and this makes it very easy to transport. You can just put it in your trunk or backseat.
The great thing here is the price isn’t outrageous either. It’s certainly not cheap, but that’s not too bad. If you’re looking for a product that allows you take another person along and one that lets you go out by yourself, this is one that you should definitely think about.
Intex Explorer K2
Let’s say that you’re on a budget and don’t have hundreds of dollars to spend on a kayak. Let’s also say you’re looking for one that’s suitable for multiple paddlers. Where should you turn? If this describes you then the Intex Explorer K2 maybe what you’re looking for.
Believe it or not, the K2 is one of cheapest kayaks on this list. Do I think it performs as well as some of the pricier products? Definitely not. But it can work in the right situations and there’s thousands of happy customers that have purchased this watercraft.
That’s because it comes with:
- A repair kit in case anything happens. You’ll be able to patch up any holes with ease.
- The floor is very rigid and this allows it to cut through water without any problems.
- Very resistant to puncture and the vinyl on the side won’t pop easily.
- Maximum weight of 200 pounds so it should hold two people without any issues.
- Very simple to assemble and it won’t cause you any stress to get this product river ready.
You also get two 86 inch paddles if you decide on the K2. As long as you manage expectations and aren’t facing intense rapids, you’ll appreciate this kayak.
Sea Eagle Pro Package
Company: Sea Eagle
The Sea Eagle Pro is another budget product made for two paddlers but is a step above the one you just saw. If there’s 3 tiers and the Advanced Elements kayak’s are tier 1 and the previous one is tier 3, I’d say this one is tier 2. It’s performing but it doesn’t perform at the highest level.
One feature that I like with this product is you get two 7 foot 10 inch paddles and you won’t have to buy them separately. This saves you a little cash after the fact.
Some other features that you’ll appreciate, includes:
- Sits 3 people even though it has two seats. This allows you to bring along an extra person if you want.
- 650 pound capacity which is one of the most on this list. You’ll be able to bring along whatever you want with this type of limit.
- Self bailing and if it takes on some water it’ll get rid of it on its own.
- Carry handles so you can easily get it into and out of the water without straining yourself.
This kayak is one of the better values on this list and is perfect for anyone looking to save a little cash.
Airhead Montana 2 Person
Last on the list is the Airhead Montana and there’s two things that really make this product stand out. The first is the price is pretty low cost and makes this kayak very affordable.
The second thing that separates the Montana is it’s more spacious than most 2-seater kayaks. Where most 2-seaters are around 10 feet, this one is a little over 12 feet. This gives you more leg room and it allows you to bring along extra gear.
Some other benefits you’ll like includes:
- Lightweight and portable and you’ll be able easily transport this product around.
- Works with most pumps and it’s extremely simple to inflate and deflate.
- Plenty of handles so you can take this kayak out of the water without any issues.
- 3 layers of reinforcements on the bottom of this watercraft makes the Montana durable and hard to puncture.
This product is very similar to the last couple you’ve seen. This is definitely a kayak that’s designed for people that are on a budget and don’t want to break the bank to purchase their new inflatable kayak.
Inflatable Kayak FAQ’S
1) Question: How much do these products cost?
Answer: Inflatable kayaks range in price and how much it’s going to cost you really depends on your needs and the type of one you get. For example, a low performing kayak, meant for calm waters can cost less than $100.
I wouldn’t recommend this type of product for someone that’s very serious and expects to face rapids. But if you’re just looking for something to causally paddle, a $100 kayak will work.
Serious fisherman and people that want to get a little extreme rafting in, will want to pay a little more. There’s inflatable kayaks that rival hard shell kayaks and these products will cost anywhere from $500 to $600, all the way up to $1000 and more.
2) Question: Can I purchase an inflatable kayak online?
Answer: This one is up to you to decide. I personally like buying pricey outdoor gear in person but not everyone has access to a sporting goods store. And even if you do they might not carry inflatable kayaks or have one that suits your needs.
If that’s the case it’s perfectly fine to buy one online. Just make sure you check out reviews and what people are saying about the product you’re thinking about.
There’s plenty of high quality retailers to purchase from too. These places offer a wide selection of kayaks and they have good return policies. So if there’s any problems you’ll easily be able to get your money back.
3) Question: What are the benefits of one of these kayaks?
Answer: There’s many different benefits to one of these products and they are:
- They are easy to transport: This is the single biggest benefit in my mind. Because it’s inflatable, you can deflate it and put it anywhere in your car to transport it. You don’t have to get a rack or anything like that. Most come with a carry case too. So you can easily place it in your backseat, front seat or trunk. You can even put it in a backpack and transport it on a train, bus or subway. This just makes life very easy.
- They’re simple to set up: It doesn’t take much effort to set these kayaks up either. They inflate very easily and many work with all pumps. The biggest problem might be finding the right pump but with the ability to purchase anything online this shouldn’t be too big of an issue. These products deflate and are simple to roll up.
- Lightweight: Many of these kayaks are lightweight too and can weigh as little as 10 pounds. This makes carrying and setting up stress less.
- Very durable: Although not every inflatable kayak is extremely durable and rugged, most are. If you need one that’s going to handle very serious rapids and one that’ll slide over rocks without puncturing, you’ll be able to get it. There’s plenty of models and brands that are designed to perform at a high level and tackle various water conditions.
4) Question: What are the different kind of inflatable kayaks?
Answer: There’s many different types you can get of this product and they are:
- Self bailing kayaks: These watercrafts are made for people that paddle in rapids and it allows water to escape through strategically placed holes through out the kayak. Some come with plugs so you can prevent water from coming in when you’re not in rough waters. But because these products are generally used in rapids, they aren’t the easiest to handle in calm water.
- Sit on kayaks: Sit on kayaks are good for people that have difficulty getting into and out of kayaks. The only downside here is you will get more wet if you get splashed or anything like that.
- Sit in kayak: This is more of a traditional design and it comes with a cockpit area. A sit in kayak is preferred in colder weather because it does a good job keeping water from splashing in.
- Canoe: These products, like the name suggests, look more like canoes than kayaks.
5) Question: Can I fit more than one person in one of these kayaks?
Answer: Sure you can! You just have to make sure you get a kayak that’s designed for 2 or more people. If you get one that’s designed for a single paddler you won’t want to put 2 people in there, however.
The reason I say this is you won’t have enough leg room or storage area for you and another person. Also, most inflatable kayaks come with a weight limit. If you get a 1 person kayak, the weight limit will probably be 250 pounds or so. That’s not enough for two adults and you may have issues if you try and go over that.
6) Question: What is a tracking fin?
Answer: A tracking fin is a fin located under the kayak and it helps you keep control of your steering. Without one you’ll have a hard time keeping your kayak straight and may find yourself veering off. A lot of self bailing kayaks don’t have a tracking fin because the water these products face is so rough and it’s impossible to go in a straight line to begin with.
7) Are there any drawbacks to these products?
Answer: I believe there’s way more positives when compared to negatives for these types of kayaks but there’s a few drawbacks.
First off, you’re going to have to inflate and deflate when you’re done with it. This doesn’t take a long time but it’s a little extra you’ll have to do. This is also one of the positives, however, because it allows you to transport it more easily.
Also, there’s a chance your kayak could puncture and develop a hole, which is the last thing you want when you’re in the open water. The good news is 1) it’s not easy to puncture these products and the more expensive, durable ones are nearly impossible to do so and 2) most come with a repair kit that allow you to patch up holes. This way you won’t have to go out and buy a new one just because the one you have now is punctured.
Lastly, many of the kayaks come with a warranty of a year or two. So if something does happen you can always get a refund.
Paddle With The Best This Year!
Whether you’re a fisherman or someone that enjoys spending their free time one the water, an inflatable kayak is a product you should consider. But this is only true if you get a quality one. If you get a low quality one you may find yourself swimming to shore.
No matter your needs or budget, there’s something on this list for you too.
If you have any questions you can comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as quickly as possible. You can search around the outdoor section up top for more tips and gear reviews too.
Are you excited to try out your new kayak?