Properly protecting your head is a necessity, especially when you’re biking. In order to prevent injuries to this vulnerable part of your body you’ll want one of the best road bike helmets.
There’s a couple things you need to consider before making your purchase and I’ll show you what’s most important – after you’ll see my top picks for the year.
How To Choose The Right Helmet
When selecting your head gear you should think about the following:
- Select the right size
- Decide if you want a MIPS helmet
- Smaller features (visor, ventilation, weight, etc.)
The most important thing you can do when purchasing a new helmet is to get the correct size. If you go too small the helmet will feel constricting and give you headaches – if you go too big it could slip over your eyes or shift to the side on a crash.
Here’s a video that explains how to properly measure:
Pretty simple, right?
After you get the correct size you need to decide if you want a MIPS helmet. A MIPS helmet protects you against rotational forces which is important when biking. There’s still a lot of debate on how much better these products are than non-MIPS helmets but I believe you should strongly consider them.
Lastly, look at the smaller aspects like ventilation, visor and weight. Cycling is an activity that’s going to make you sweat and you want a product that’ll manage heat. If your head gets too hot you’ll have to stop much sooner than you usually would want to – this is where ventilation comes in.
Also, you want headgear that keeps the sun out of your eyes and is not overly heavy. All the helmets on this list do a good job in all these departments.
Let’s take a look at my top picks now.
Bell Stratus MIPS
Do I think the Bell Stratus MIPS is the most protective or absolute best helmet on this list? Not really. But it protects at a high level and is ultra comfortable without completely breaking the bank. You’ll see products on this list that cost several hundred dollars and that’s not the case with the Stratus – it’ll only cost around $149. This helmet is an excellent value at that price.
Another thing I really like about this piece of equipment is how lightweight it is. It’s the kind of helmet you’ll barely notice on your head and it won’t distract your attention from the road.
Some other features that are nice include:
- A ton of vents ensure your head won’t overheat and you’ll have good sweat management.
- MIPS technology means you’ll get extra protection against rotational forces.
- In mold shell soaks up impacts and keeps your head safe in the event of a crash.
- Aerodynamic shape reduces drag and lets you go as fast as possible.
- Stays in place and won’t wiggle around when you’re cruising the streets.
- Float Fit Technology lets you adjust the fit. No matter your head shape or needs you’ll get a fit that’s perfect for you.
This is a well made and durable helmet too and comes with a 1 year warranty.
Also, it has perfect reviews and if you’d like to see what other customers are saying about this helmet, click below.
Giro Synthe MIPS
The Giro Synthe MIPS is another great option and is a helmet you’ll love if you decide to purchase. The Synthe is universally liked and is high performing.
One thing most people appreciate is how many vents this helmet has and how aerodynamic it is. In terms of vents, there’s 19 different ones to ensure you have good temperature control for your head. Also, it’s specifically designed so you won’t get any wind resistance.
Also, it comes with:
- MIPS technology means you get extra protection and your head will be safe from rotational forces.
- In mold constriction is another reason this helmet is extremely protective.
- Roc Loc Air Fit System means you can get a custom fit for maximum comfort.
- Aero Mesh Panels keep your sunglasses in place and prevents them from shifting around when you’re going up an incline.
- EPS Impact foam comes in handy if you ever do crash and hit your head against the pavement.
The Giro Synthe isn’t cheap. Do I think it’s worth its price? Definitely. This is a helmet that feels good to wear and will keep you safe.
Here we have another top of the line helmet and the POC Octal is a product that everyone should consider. It does everything well and is a helmet that performs at an extremely high level.
The Octal goes about ventilation different than most of the products on this list. Instead of having a bunch of tiny vents, this piece of equipment uses fewer but larger vents. This gives you the most airflow possible and ensures this helmet is aerodynamic.
It also has:
- Size adjustment system ensures you get the perfect fit and maximizes the overall comfort of this product.
- Coolbest padding keeps your head from getting too hot.
- Fully wrapped unibody shell construction is ultra protecting and keeps your head from sustaining serious injuries.
- EPS liner is strategically placed to keep you safe, even if you take a tumble.
- Lightweight and you’ll barely notice it sitting on the top of your head.
- 1 year warranty and I’m sure you’ll get much more than that.
Because this is one of the higher quality helmets available it’s going to cost a little extra. It’s worth its price, though, and I know you’ll agree if you decide on the Octal.
Also, it comes with 8 different colors so you should have an easy time finding one that you like.
Giro is one of the most well known helmet makers and there’s going to be a few of their products on this list. You’ll even see Giro ski helmets for adults and kids and mountain bike helmets out there too. Giro knows head gear and when you purchase from them you know you’re getting quality.
The Savant is affordable, also, and one of the cheaper helmets on this list. What’s great is you’re not giving up any performance at that price either.
Some features I know you’ll like includes:
- MIPS technology means you’ll get protected against rotational forces and this prevents serious head injuries.
- Polycarbonate shell absorbs impacts and disperses impact across the length and width of the entire helmet.
- 25 different vents keeps airflow moving and eliminates sweat build up. It also ensures your head won’t overheat.
- Roc Loc 5 retention system lets you adjust the fit and get a custom/comfortable fit for your unique head shape.
- CPSC certified is another reason you can trust this helmet to protect your head.
- 1 year warranty shows the type of quality and durability this product has.
- 10 different colors from red to black to grey and more.
This is another product that has a ton of reviews too – over 500 actually and basically all are positive. If you want to see what all these customers are saying about the Savant, click below:
The Smith Overtake might just be the best helmet on this list. This is the kind of products that you’ll find on the heads of serious riders and people looking for the most amount of protection.
I know one person who got into a pretty serious crash while wearing the Overtake. He went head first over his handle bars and smacked into the cement at a fast speed. He credits this helmet for saving his life and he’s positive he would have sustained a serious head injury with a lesser product protecting him.
If that’s not enough, some other features include:
- Lightweight and aerodynamic design. This means your attention won’t be distracted from the road and you won’t be slowed down at all.
- MIPS protection means you’ll get more protection from rotational forces and this is another reason this helmet is so safe.
- 21 different vents keeps air moving and this leads to a cooler head.
- Koroyd material through out the helmet. Koroyd absorbs impacts and does a good job regulating temperature.
- Vaporfit adjustable fit system lets you tighten and loosen this product quickly and with ease.
- Certified by all kinds of different safety organizations.
This helmet isn’t cheap, though. If you don’t have extra to spend this year there’s plenty of other options on this list that’ll work well for you. If you do have that to spend, however, I would definitely consider this product. If the day ever comes where your head needs protection, you’ll be happy to have the Overtake.
Here we have another excellent helmet and the Kask Mojito is product you’ll find on the heads of very serious bikers. People who live and breath cycling trust this helmet and they love the protection they get from the Mojito.
This is a very stylish piece of equipment too. I know for a fact if you decide on this helmet you’ll get some compliments and a few people are probably going to ask where you got this product from. You can tell those people it’s a handmade product from Italy, which is true.
In terms of protection and features, the Mojito comes with:
- Polycarbonate shell that’ll prevent injuries and absorbs hard impacts.
- 26 different air vents ensures your head will be nice and cool. You won’t have to worry about sweat build up either.
- Up-N-Down hinged fit system secures this product properly and you’ll get the perfect fit because of this.
- Removable CoolMax pads means you can clean and prevent the build up of bacteria/bad smells.
- Lightweight and it’s not uncomfortable to wear.
The price isn’t cheap but it’s not overly expensive either. That’s a good price for all that you’re getting.
Also, there’s a ton of different colors to choose from and they range from very masculine to feminine. To look at all options, click below.
Don’t really want to spend several hundred dollars on head gear this year? If that’s the case, the Catlike Whisper may be the product you’ve been looking for.
Anyone that’s struggled to keep their head cool should consider this product too. It comes with a staggering 39 vents through out this helmet. This means your head will have a hard time getting too hot and you’ll be able to manage sweat build up.
Also, you’ll like that the Whisper is:
- Extremely lightweight and sits on top of your head without you really noticing you’re wearing a helmet.
- Multi Positioning System Adjustment ensures you’ll get the perfect fit and you can adjust quickly/easily.
- Certified by every safety organization you’d want it to be certified by.
- Safety Low Nape Protection adds extra protection to the back of your head.
- Safety Crash Energy Splitter makes use of EPS foam and this protects against impacts.
How much is the Whipser going to cost you? Not too much. It’s price that basically everyone can afford and one you’ll be happy to pay once you get to try this helmet out.
Plus, it comes with 10 different colors and I’m sure you’ll find one that you like.
Smith Route MIPS
The Smith Route is like the Smith Overtake (one of the helmets you already saw) in a lot of ways. Both are highly protective and made with durable/strong materials. Also, both feature MIPS technology and this provides an extra level of support and protection.
The main difference between the two products is the Route is lighter and more affordable. If that’s what you’re looking for, you may also like that it comes with:
- Koroyd materials in the shell which compresses on impact and this allows it to absorb energy better than other helmet materials.
- This helmet also comes with polycarbonate and EPS materials that further protects your head.
- 18 different vents throughout ensures airflow will be moving and your head will be nice and cool.
- Soft X-Static liner evaporates moisture and makes sure your head doesn’t get drenched.
- Vapor Fit adjustable system means you’ll get the perfect fit for your head shape.
- 9 different vibrant colors so you can get the exact look you desire.
I mentioned this helmet isn’t too expensive. You know what makes this price even better? It comes with a lifetime warranty!
You won’t see that on many helmets and the fact the Route has this shows you how durable it is.
Bell Star Pro
Here we have another Bell product and the Star Pro only weighs 280 grams – that’s about .6 pounds. That’s extremely light weight and is perfect for people that dislike bulky, intrusive helmets. Chances are you’ll barely feel this helmet on your head.
One feature I like is the Zeiss Eye Shield which provides shading for your eyes. If you don’t want this shield it unbuckles easily because it connects with magnets.
Some other cool features include:
- Float Fit technology lets you adjust the helmet both horizontally and vertically for a perfect fit.
- Comes with 15 different vents that can be covered by a simple slide of a button.
- In mold shell is highly protective and durable.
- EPS foam is progressively layered and this means your head is protected better than ever.
- Comes in 9 different colors and you’re sure to find one that you like.
The price isn’t bad either and you can purchase this product without breaking the bank. That’s an excellent price for what you’re getting too.
This is another helmet with a ton of positive reviews and you can check them out by clicking below:
Giro Cinder MIPS
The Giro Cinder is the perfect helmet for recreational cyclists and will help you stay out there longer than ever. One reason for this is it’s nice and lightweight. It looks sleek too. You won’t have to worry about being distracted or anything like that while wearing the Cinder.
It’s also pretty affordable and will only cost around $135. This is another reason this product is perfect for recreational bikers.
Also, it has:
- MIPS technology ensures you’ll be protected against impacts from all angles. This should give you peace of mind that your head is safe.
- Fit adjustment system that’s extremely easy to use and adjustments can be made with one hand, very quickly.
- An astonishing 26 different vents that are strategically placed all over. You’ll be able to go all day long without having to worry about overheating.
- Air fix padding makes this helmet really comfortable too.
- 8 different colors lets you get the exact look you want this year.
This product is extremely durable too and is made with high quality materials. Also, the Cinder comes with a 1 year warranty and I’m sure you’ll get much more than that.
Lazer Z1 MIPS
The Lazer Z1 is a high end helmet and is another product that excels in both protection and ventilation. One reason the Z1 is excellent in the protection department is because it comes with MIPS technology. I’ve gone over this a few times already and MIPS does a good job keeping your head safe.
In terms of ventilation, the Z1 has a staggering 31 vents. You know you won’t have to worry about your head overheating because of this.
Some other features include:
- Extremely lightweight and only weighs around 250 grams. This is the perfect weight and you’ll love the way it feels on your head.
- ARS Advanced Rollsys retention system ensures you get a good fit. You won’t have to worry about this helmet being too tight or too loose.
- Certified by many different agencies and this ensures you’re getting a protective and safe helmet.
- Adjustable straps is another reason you’ll get the correct fit.
- EPS impact foam soaks up impacts and makes sure your head won’t get injured on crashes.
- 9 different colors and you’ll easily be able to find the one you like.
This is a premium product and because of this you’ll have to pay a little extra. I think it’s worth that, though, and if decide on the Lazer Z1 MIPS I think you will too. Plus, it comes with a 2 year warranty, so you’ll get your money’s worth.
Here have another well made helmet and what separates the Kask Protone from other helmets is how many design options you get. You get 20 different color choices!
You get every color you can think of and one for every type of person. There’s blue, white, green, red, pink, orange, black and plenty of helmets with more than one color. If you want a helmet to match to your bike or any piece of gear, this is the one to select.
It also comes with:
- Octo Fit means you’ll get a snug fit without being too tight.
- Polycarbonate shell and EPS impact foam protects your head and ensures you won’t sustain any serious head injuries.
- Extremely lightweight and this helmet will comfortably sit on your head at only 250 grams.
- Large ventilation channels that keeps air moving without giving up anything in the aerodynamics department.
- Anti-odor padding makes sure your helmet won’t smell – there’s nothing worst than smelly athletic gear.
- Coolmax padding is another reason the Protone excels in heat control. It also wicks away moisture to prevent sweat build up.
This is another pricey helmet. You do get a lifetime warranty, however, which makes that price much more reasonable.
Scott ARX Plus
If the last few helmets were to expensive for you, then you’ll like the Scott ARX Plus. This helmet performs at a high level and won’t completely break the bank. This product comes with a 2 year warranty which makes that price even more attractive.
Like many of the helmets on this list, the ARX Plus comes with MIPS technology too. This makes sure your head is safe from all kinds of impacts from different angles.
Some additional features include:
- In mold polycarbonate and EPS foam body ensures your head it protected at a high level.
- MRAS2 fit system allows you to get the perfect fit. You won’t have to worry about this helmet being too constricting or too loose. It’s easy to use and all you have to do is twist a dial to work it.
- Adjustable straps is another reason you’ll get a good fit.
- A few different color and design options to choose from.
- Reflective detailing on the back makes sure you’re easy to see when it’s not bright out.
If you’re looking to save a few bucks this year I would definitely consider this helmet. You’re getting a good amount of performance without breaking the bank.
Giro Advantage 2
Last on the list is the Advantage 2 and is from a company you’ve seen a few times already – Giro. What’s great about the Advantage 2 is it’s pretty affordable and definitely affordable for Giro quality.
This helmet comes with a pretty unique shape too and is designed to be aerodynamic. This product works well in races and any situation where time is important.
Additionally this helmet has:
- Roc Loc 5 gives you a custom fit and this is important for performance. You won’t have your attention diverted from the road because this helmet is uncomfortable.
- In mold construction absorbs impacts and this keeps your noggin’ nice and safe.
- 5 large vents and Wind Tunnel technology ensures your head is cool the whole day long.
- Lightweight and is by no means bulky.
If you’re just a casual biker and don’t intend on entering races or triatholons, this isn’t a helmet that you’ll need – it’s specifically designed for those two instances.
Protect Your Head With Style!
It’s one thing to have a helmet that protects your head. It’s another to have one that ensures safety while looking good, being comfortable and keeping your head cool. No matter your budget or needs there’s a product on this list that’ll do that for your.
If you have any questions you can comment below and I’ll respond as fast as possible. You can search around the bike section up top for more tips.
Do you feel better knowing your head will be completely safe this year?