An ideal way to enjoy the outdoors is with one of the best roof top tents.
There’s a million reasons to love these tents and you’ll see them all – plus you’ll see my top picks for the year.
I’m sure you’ll find a product that you’ll want to buy by the time you’re done reading.
All The Benefits Of A Roof Top Tent
Here’s a video from a couple that goes over all the pros and cons of one of these products:
As you can see there’s a lot to like! Let’s get into my top picks now.
Tuff Stuff Ranger Overland
Company: Tuff Stuff
With a name like Tuff Stuff you can be sure any product that comes from this company is durable and rugged – that describes their Ranger Overland perfectly. You can take this tent into remote areas and be very confident you’ll be protected.
Another aspect that makes the Ranger Overland worth it is it doesn’t take a lot of effort to get it installed. With another person you can get this product up and ready to go in 1 to 2 hours (you get all tools required to get it up too). Once it’s installed it takes minutes to fold it and unfold it and doesn’t require tools to do so.
Some other top features include:
- Heavy duty zippers won’t break off and you’ll be able to seal out the elements.
- Strategically placed vents ensure that heat can escape and you won’t feel suffocated because you’re overheated.
- Screened windows so you can look at scenery around you without letting insects and bugs in.
- Thick and comfortable mattress ensures you get restful sleep every single night.
- Water, mold and wind proof is another reason you’ll feel comfortable at all times when inside.
- You can sleep up to 3 people in this tent too.
Also, the price is very reasonable. It’s not overly expensive but it’s not cheap either – it’s right in that sweat spot where you’re not breaking the bank but not getting anything low quality.
Also, it gets a ton of positive reviews too. If you want to see what other customers are saying about this tent, click below:
Tepui Tents Autana Ruggedized XL Sky 4
Company: Tepui Tents
Tepui is probably the most recognizable brand when it comes to roof top tents and they make some really high quality products. Their Autana Ruggedized is one of their best too. Here’s a video so you can take a closer look at it:
If you’re truly looking for a top of the line roof tent, you have to consider this one. It lives up to the hype and delivers in every way possible.
Some top benefits of the Autana XL include:
- 6 X 8 sleeping area is some of the most you can get. In fact, you get enough space to comfortably sleep 4 people. This makes this product perfect for families.
- Comes with large screened windows so you can look out to see the wonderful scenery of whereever you’re camping.
- High A-Frame design ensures you have enough room to sit up and you won’t feel like you’re squished in.
- Can stand up to the heaviest and most intense rain storms imaginable because of the 600-denier coated ripstop.
- 8.5 foot latter is higher than almost any person will need. You won’t have to go out and buy an extension because of this.
- Well made mosquito net keeps out all bugs and makes sure you get a restful sleep.
- Going even further to ensure you get a restful sleep you get a high quality and extremely comfortable 2.5 inch foam mattress.
- Plenty of storage area so you can keep all your gear close by and safe.
- Comes with a universal mounting system so it can easily connect to any roof rack imaginable.
There’s so much to like here. If you’re serious about camping and want maximum protection you’ll want to think about this – if you can afford it. It’s one of the most expensive on this list and there’s a good reason for that. It truly is one of the best and one everyone will love.
Tepui Kukenam Sky Tent
Here we have another Tepui tent and the Kukenam is a little more affordable than the one you already saw. It’s a little smaller and fits one less person but it’s still a very high quality product. This is the kind of tent you can take out in the Spring, Summer and Fall and can be in complete comfort.
One thing I really like with the Kukenam is it comes with a very comfortable mattress. When you sleep at night you don’t want to be in pain or constantly tossing and turning because you’re uncomfortable. If you decide on this tent that’s not going to happen.
If that’s not enough, you’ll like that this tent comes with:
- Enough room vertically so you’ll be able to sit up without having your head hit the roof.
- You get screened windows that keep mosquitoes out and it allows you to take in the views.
- Coated materials are a godsend when the rain is coming down and the wind is really blowing.
- 4 large pockets on the inside makes sure you can keep all your valuables close by.
- You get universal mounting brackets too and this will help you get this tent up in record time, no matter which rack is on your car.
- 2 doors allow you to get in and out of this product with ease.
In all you get 37 square feet of floor space and and 52 inches of height. This is more than enough for three people and you’ll have plenty of space to stretch out and sleep. Plus, you get Tepui quality and this really separates this tent from others.
ARB Series III
ARB is a company that’s well known and you can trust – when you purchase from them you know you’re getting quality and a dependable product. This definitely sums up their Series III roof top tent too.
Every aspect of this tent is well made and you’ll feel very secure sleeping inside it. You won’t have to worry about water seeping in or bugs getting in. Also, it can stand up to wind and any other weather that you’re expecting to face.
Some other features include:
- Retractable ladder is very sturdy and you’ll feel good going up and down it.
- Can be mounted on either the front or back of your car.
- Very comfortable mattress will help you get a sound sleep so you’re nice and refreshed in the morning.
- Screened windows and doors keeps bugs out and you’ll still be able to see out without an issue.
The only downside is this product can’t be used on a stock rack and you must have an aftermarket rack to mount correctly. That shouldn’t deter you, though. There’s a few reviews from different customers and they’re all overwhelmingly positive. If you want to read these 5/5 star reviews, click below:
Feather-Lite 2 Person Tent
Company: Front Runner
Here we have another 2 person tent and this one, from Front Runner, is an excellent option for anyone looking to travel light. If you’re someone that likes to get away by yourself or like to take a spouse along with you, you’ll really like this tent.
One nice aspect of this product is it’s extremely weather proof. Not only do the materials used keep water out, you get a very high quality rain cover too. This is good for when the weather turns sour.
Some other benefits that make this tent worth it includes:
- Insulated base makes sure you don’t get any cold drafts and you stay warm.
- Lightweight and weighs under 100 pounds. That makes this tent easy to set up.
- Comes with a nice mattress and it’s very comfortable. You’ll sleep well because of this.
- Very sturdy ladder and it comes with thread so you have good footing and won’t slip.
In terms of price this product isn’t too bad either. In fact, it’s one of the more affordable tents on this list. It’s not cheap, however, which is a good thing. You don’t want a low quality tent and have a cold night sleeping.
Camco 3 Person Tent
This Camco 3 person tent is another option that’ll work for a lot of different people. One thing I really like about this product is it can mount on any side of your car – left, right, front or back.
Another aspect about the mounting I appreciate is it goes on basically all roof racks. It doesn’t matter if you’re using the stock one you got from the dealership or one you bought aftermarket, you should easily be able to get this tent up.
Other benefits that I like include:
- Large mattress sleeps up to three people and it’s very comfortable.
- Vents placed through out this tent ensures you won’t overheat.
- Screened doors and windows keep mosquitoes and other bugs from ruining your time.
- Adjustable ladder so you can easily get into this product.
- Zip off water cover comes in handy if you’re experiencing inclement weather.
One thing to keep in mind with this tent is it’s pretty heavy and is one of the heavier products on this list. It’s not a deal breaker by any means but is something you should keep in mind when you go to set it up or take it down.
Smittybilt 3 Person Tent
If you’re looking for a budget friendly roof top tent, this Smittybilt 3 person tent is one that you should consider. What’s great is this tent is still high quality despite it’s low price.
Being that it’s an affordable option it may surprise you it can be used in all seasons. So if you’re someone that lives and breaths the outdoors and have to be outside at all times, this product can work well for you.
If that’s not enough you’ll like that this tent comes with:
- LED strip on the inside means you can get some safe lighting when it’s dark out.
- Mosquito netting ensures that bugs stay out of the tent and you won’t wake up itching because of this.
- Tested in the most intense rain conditions imaginable and you’ll be nice and dry if you ever get caught up in a rain storm.
- High density foam is resistant to fires and it can sleep up to 3 people comfortably.
- Sets up very quickly and you’ll be amazed at how fast you can get this tent up and ready to go.
You know what makes the price of this product even better? It comes with a full 1 year warranty. So if there’s any issues you can send it back and get a replacement or your money back. So if you’re looking to save a little cash on your roof top tent and not give up much in the performance department, this is one that’ll work for you.
YAAO Rooftop Tent
This YAAO roof top tent is a lot like the ones you’ve seen so far. For example, you get a very comfortable high density mattress. This mattress is very comfortable and is one that you’re really going to like laying on.
Another aspect that you’re going to like is the way the screening is put up. It doesn’t obstruct your views but it keeps insects out. You won’t be slapping away flies and mosquitoes all night long.
Some other benefits that you’ll like includes:
- A high amount of ventilation ensures air circulates and you won’t feel stuffy inside.
- Strong aluminum ladder will easily be able to hold your weight and you won’t feel unsafe going up it.
- Good water proofing and you won’t have to worry if rain is on the horizon.
- Fits multiple people and this makes it perfect for anyone that has a family or want to go out with many people.
- Pretty lightweight for a roof top tent and is one of the few tents on this list that cost under 100 pounds.
The price isn’t horrible either and it’ll cost pretty much where you think it would. I wouldn’t say there’s anything that sets this product apart but it does well in basically all facets. If you decide on this product you’ll like what you get.
Tepui Ayer 2 Person Tent
Here we have another Tepui tent and this one is designed for people that travel light – both in terms of gear and in camping partners. The reason I say this is this product fits only 2 people comfortably. So if you’re looking for a family tent, you should keep searching.
But if you’re a light traveler and only expect to camp by yourself or one other person, you’ll like this tent a lot. One aspect I know you’ll appreciate is you can camp year around in the Ayer, even in the winter. This is good for people who love to get outdoors no matter what the temperature is.
Some other features you’ll like includes:
- Coated outside materials keeps all rain out and works even if it is down pouring.
- Built for smaller vehicles and this is good if you don’t have a massive jeep or truck.
- Very comfortable mattress feels like it could belong in your bedroom back home.
- 8.5 foot telescoping ladder means you won’t have to buy an extension if you have a very high roof.
- You get enough height so you can sit up comfortably and not feel like you’re crunched in.
Because this isn’t a tent made for a whole family, it’s actually pretty affordable. In fact, it costs less than half of the first Tepui tent you saw.
Yakima Skyrise 2 Person
Here we have another high quality tent and this one is from Yakima. If you’re looking for a product to stuff an entire family into, you’ll probably want a different one. The Skyrise is made more for intimate camping and best suited for 2 people.
One thing I really love about the Skyrise is it can be installed to any roof rack without any tools. There’s no bolts or anything like that. This makes life so much easier and will save you a ton of stress. You won’t have to separate small screws or anything like that.
Some other aspects you’ll like includes:
- Nylon tent doesn’t weigh a ton and you’ll be able to easily get it on top of your car. Also, there’s plenty of mesh material through out and this improves breathability – it won’t feel like a million degrees inside.
- Waterproof coating keeps water and moisture from getting inside.
- The entire base is covered by a 2.5 inch comfortable mattress and you’ll feel like you’re sleeping on the mattress in your bedroom.
- Aluminum poles are both lightweight and durable. They won’t fold when the wind is howling and you’ll feel secure inside.
- Comes with SKS Lock Core and this ensures the tent stays secured to your roof rack.
What’s really great with this product is it’s not overly expensive. In fact, the Skyrise is one of the more affordable tents on this list. So if you’re looking for an inexpensive roof top tent for yourself and a partner, this is one you’ll want to consider.
Roof Top Tent FAQ’S
1) Question: How much do roof top tents cost?
Answer: If there’s one downside to roof top tents, it’s that they’re very expensive. You can get a quality ground tent for a few hundred but that’s not the case for one that goes on top of your car. At a minimum you’re probably going to have to pay $700 and that’ll only usually sleep 2 people.
If you want a quality roof top tent that sleeps 3 or 4 people you’ll likely pay over $1000 and you can go as high as $2500 and more. So if you’re looking for a budget product to take out into the wilderness these kinds of tents aren’t for you.
But there’s a reason they cost so much. They’re more advanced than a ground tent and offer a lot more. You wont’ have to worry about animals bothering you and you get a very comfortable mattress too.
2) Question: What are some top brands?
Answer: There’s a few brands you’ll see over and over when purchasing a roof top tent. The most popular and well known is probably Tepui. While the tents made from this company are expensive, they are extremely high quality.
Tepui makes the kind of products that protects in serious rain storms and that’ll help you sleep soundly – you’ll just feel safe and secure.
Other well known brands include Tuff Stuff, Smitty Built and ARB. If you get a tent from any of these companies you’ll be alright.
3) Question: Can I buy a rooftop tent online?
Answer: When you’re spending a few thousand on a product you usually want to see it in person before purchasing. You want to see how it looks, get inside to feel the mattress and see what materials it’s made out of.
But roof top tents aren’t the type of products you’ll find in every sporting good shop. In fact, you may have a hard time finding any in store within driving range of your house.
Because of this it’s perfectly fine to buy this kind of tent online. Just make sure you take your time and research the tent you’re considering.
4) Question: How many people fit into one of these tents?
Answer: There’s multiple size tents and how many you fit in really depends on the one you buy. If you’re someone that plans to get away alone and with just one other person, you can purchase a 2 person tent.
If you’re looking to bring even more people along you can get a tent that fits 3 or 4 people. Just keep in mind these tents cost more than ones made for 2.
There’s not many roof top tents, however, that fit more than 4 people. There’s just limited space on top of a roof and it’s hard to make a tent that goes on your car’s roof that can fit 5 or 6 people.
5) Question: How do you set a rooftop tent up?
Answer: Setting up one of these products is pretty simple and doesn’t require many tools. Here’s a video that shows how to set up a Tepui tent:
As you can see it’s a straight forward process. I would recommend having another person help you, though. These tents are pretty heavy and often weigh over 100 pounds. Plus, they’re very large and awkward to handle if you’re alone. Save yourself some stress and have a friend lend a hand.
6) Question: What are the pros of these products?
Answer: These type of tents have a lot going for them and there’s many reason why you would want to purchase one. The top benefits include:
- Protection from animals: When you’re on your roof, there’s not many animals that are going to bother you. I wouldn’t say you’re 100 percent protected but you’re definitely safer than you would be if you were on the ground.
- It’s simple to fold once set up: Once you get this type of product set up, it’s very easy to camp with it. It only takes a few minutes to fold and unfold. You won’t have to constantly assemble and dissemble the tent. So if you want to move spots it won’t take a lot of effort to do so.
- Bedding is part of the tent: This is another aspect that I like. You won’t have to try and fit a mattress in your trunk or have to blow up an air mattress because of this. The mattress will always be sitting on your roof, ready to be slept on.
There’s more pros but these are my favorite.
7) Question: What are the cons?
Answer: While I highly recommend these kinds of tents, they aren’t perfect. There’s a few drawbacks which include:
- They’re expensive: I’ve already touched on this topic but it’s probably the biggest negative. Roof top tents are very expensive and it’s hard to find a quality one that’ll cost less than $800 and that’s for 2 people. Quality 3 person or 4 person ones will cost up to three times that.
- You’re limited where you can camp: Obviously if you have a tent that’s attached to your car, you can only camp where you car can go. It’s good for beaches and open areas but you won’t be able to go right into the woods because of this.
- It can be a little difficult to set up alone: One of the main benefits of a roof top tent is once it’s set up it’s very convenient to use. But setting it up can cause some issues because of how heavy and bulky it is. You’re probably going to have to find someone to help you out.
Don’t let these issues scare you away, though. These types of tents are awesome and everyone I know that owns one loves camping with them.
8) Question: What type of car do I need for a roof top tent?
Answer: Mainly you need a car that has a rack on the top of it. So if you have a small 2 door Honda Accord, you probably won’t be able use one of these tents.
You want at least a small SUV or a wagon type vehicle (like something from Subaru). Larger tents probably require a larger SUV, van or a Jeep.
9) Question: What weather can a rooftop tent stand up to?
Answer: These kind of tents are usually well made and can stand up to many different types of weather. You should look at the individual product, though, and what the maker recommends.
For instance, on this list there’s tents that are good for 3 seasons and some that are good for all 4 seasons. If you get a 3 season tent you’ll be covered in all weather that you can expect to face in the spring, summer and fall – so winds and heavy rain you should be fine.
A 4 season tent is good in the winter too. So even if it snows you’ll be protected.
10) Question: Will I need to purchase a mattress?
Answer: One of the top benefits of these products is you won’t need to buy a separate mattress and most come with a comfortable one.
This is good for many reasons. When your camping space is at a minimum, it might take up too much room to bring a camping cot or air mattress. Because the mattress always sits on the top of your roof, it won’t be taking up valuable trunk space.
11) Question: What usually comes included?
Answer: When your purchase one of these tents you get more than just the tent. I just mentioned this in the last section but you get a comfortable mattress too.
Besides getting a mattress you get a ladder. Most of the ladders are adjustable so you won’t have to buy an extension and they’ll fit basically any car or SUV.
Also, most of the time (not always, though) you get a rain cover and an attached annex too. This just means you’ll be protected from rain and you’ll have a little extra room to hang out in.
12) Question: Can you drive with the tent on your car?
Answer: The beauty of a roof top tent is once you get it set up, you’ll never have to set it up again. It just sits on your car, ready to be folded up to use. Obviously because of this you can drive around with it on your car. Just make sure it’s folded down when you do.
Also, realize that you have a little extra height on your car once it’s on there. If you’re going under any low hanging areas, like a garage, make sure you account for that. If you don’t you might smack into the top of the garage and damage your tent.
Camp With The Best This Year!
Camping is one of the most relaxing things you can do. It’s a time for you to escape and to just leave life’s problems behind for a little. This can only happen if you have the right tent, though. If you have a low quality one, you’re going to just add to your stresses.
No matter your needs or budget, there’s a tent on this list that’ll work for you.
If you have any questions you can comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as quickly as possible. You can search around the outdoors section up top if you want to see more hiking and camping gear.
Are you excited to try out your new roof top tent?