Winter is here and it’s time to look into buying new gear for the slopes.
If you want your child to have a good day out there you’ll need one of the best ski and snowboard pant for kids.
There’s a couple things to consider before making your purchase and I’ll show you what’s most important – after you’ll see my top picks for both boys and girls.
I’m sure by the time you’re done reading you’ll see a product you love.
How To Choose Kids Ski And Snowboard Pants
All ski and snowboard pants can be used for all snow activities but not all snow pants can be used for skiing and snowboarding – for the slopes you need a certain type of product. In order to get the right one, think about the following:
- How much warmth it provides and insulation
- Waterproofing and breathability
- Smaller features (seams, pockets, vents, materials, etc.)
First off, you need pants that will keep your child warm and this comes down to insulation; the more insulation you get, the warmer you’ll be. Most pants come with synthetic insulation and this type of insulation does a good job preventing coldness, even when wet.
Next, you should shift your attention to waterproofing and breathability. Here’s what to consider with both:
- Waterproofing: Waterproofing is exactly what you think it is; it’s the ability for the product to keep moisture out. The waterproof rating is measured in millimeters and you’ll see anywhere from 1000mm of waterproofing to 20000mm of waterproofing. Waterproofing comes down to outershell materials and the seams.
- Breathability: Breathability is the ability for a pair of pants to prevent overheating and sweat build up. Breathability is measured in grams and can range from 2000 grams to 20000 grams.
Lastly, you’ll want to look at the smaller features like:
- Articulated Knees: Articulated knees are good for movement and enables your little one to bend. This means they’ll be mobile and able to ski and snowboard at their best.
- Thigh Vents: Thigh vents help dump out excess heat and keeps air flow moving – this is good for comfort
- Pockets: You want pants that have safe pockets that won’t lose your child’s stuff. Many products come with media pockets and will keep your kid’s phone from getting damaged
Now that you know exactly what to consider, let’s take a look at my top picks for boys. My top picks for girls are directly after.
Best Ski And Snowboard Pants For Boys
The North Face Freedom
The North Face is a brand that you’ll see all over the slopes and that’s because their gear is both stylish and high quality – this applies to their Freedom’s. This is a pair of pants your boy will actually want to wear out there.
One thing you and your kid will appreciate is the Dryvent 2L outershell. This outershell keeps moisture from penetrating and you’ll child will stay dry, even if it’s snowing heavily.
Some other features you’ll like include:
- 60 grams of Heatseaker Insulation. This is a high quality insulation and provides a good amount of warmth. Even if it’s quite cold out your boy will still feel comfortable.
- Zip handwarmer pockets are a godsend when it’s especially frigid out.
- Ankle gaiter prevents snow from piling in through the bottom of the pants.
- Adjustable waist means no matter what size your child is they’ll get a perfect fit.
- A good amount of breathability and waterproofing ensures this product is a delight to wear.
These pants are a little pricey because of their quality but aren’t too crazy.
Keep in mind they come with a lifetime warranty too. One day your little one might out grow the Freedom’s but you’ll never need to buy a new pants because these rip.
Spyder is another brand you can trust and whenever you get the chance to purchase from them you should – besides pants, they make awesome ski and snowboard jackets for kids.
Their Propulsion pants are a product that protects against inclimate weather and ensures your child is comfortable all day long.
This is because it comes with:
- 60 grams of Thinsulate Insulation. This insulation is extremely popular and you’ll find it in ski pants made for adults and ski jackets made for adults.
- 10,000mm of waterproofing and 10,000g’s of breathability. This is a good amount and thoroughly protects against water/moisture.
- Stretch fabric that’s good for movement and mobility. Your boy won’t feel constricted with these pants on.
- Many different pockets so your child can keep their stuff, like phone, safe. They won’t have to worry about it falling out of their pockets or have to leave it behind unattended in the ski lodge.
- Adjustable waist means your kid will get a good fit at all times.
- Can be purchased in several different colors – no matter the style your child is going for they’ll find a pair they like.
I personally think it’s worth every cent of its price and I know you will too if you decide on this product.
The Karbon Stinger is another quality pair of pants and this one is a little less expensive than the previous two you’ve seen.
It has a little less insulation than the previous two at 40 grams but that’s still a pretty good amount and shouldn’t deter you from this product. These pants will provide warmth and keep your child toasty in temperatures as low as 15 degrees.
Having less insulation means lighter pants too and this ensures better movement.
Some additional features include:
- 10,000 grams of breathability prevents the build up of sweat and improves comfort.
- 10,000mm of waterproofing materials keeps all moisture and water from getting in
- Waist adjuster allows for a perfect fit every time
- Reflective trim comes in handy when you’re night skiing and other skiers will be able to see your boy.
- Relaxed fit is the perfect middle ground between too tight and too loose. If it’s very cold out your son will have enough room to layer.
Like I mentioned earlier this product is pretty inexpensive. You get a couple colors and designs to choose from too.
Obermeyer is another brand that you can trust – when you purchase from them you know you’re getting some of the best gear out there.
Their Obermeyer Brisk is a product that works well in all weather conditions and is good for all levels of skiers and snowboarders. Even if you consider your child an advanced rider, these pants will work for them.
You’ll also like that it has:
- Hydroblock Sport materials that do well in both waterproofing (10,000mm) and breathability (10,000mm).
- 60 grams of EpicLoft Insulation provides a ton of warmth. Your son will be protected even if the temperature dips down into the single digits.
- Fleece lined waist provides additional warmth and adds extra comfort.
- Articulated knees ensures your child will have plenty of movement and won’t feel constricted.
- Extended wear system means you’ll get an extra size out of the Brisk’s and your child can wear these as they grow taller.
What’s really great is this product is affordable. At that price, this makes the Brisk’s one of the best values on this list. You’ll have a hard time finding pants this well made for this price, that’s for sure.
Here we have another pair of Spyder pants and this one, the Force’s, are every bit as quality as the first pair you saw.
One thing I really like about this gear is it comes with 60 grams of 3M Thinsulate Insulation. This type of insulation is well known and 60 grams is enough to keep you toasty in cold weather. If you decide on these pants, you know your son is going to be warm.
Some other features you should know about include:
- HydroWEB 2.0 and Spylon DWR provides a good amount of waterproofing and even more breathabiltiy. The Force’s are made to be comfortable and to protect.
- Reflective details are handy when it’s dark out and you want to make sure other skiers see your boy.
- Leg zippers are good when you’re spring skiing and your child gets overheated – it allows them to dump out heat quickly and keep air flow moving.
- Scruff cuff adds a bit of durability and ensures this product will last season after season.
- Inner snow gaiter prevents any snow from coming in through the bottom
- Zippered handwarmer pockets provide extra protection when it’s cold out.
Like all high end ski and snowboard gear, these pants are going to cost a little extra.
Do I think they’re worth that? Definitely. They come with a lifetime warranty and are one of the best pants you can get.
Helly Hansen Legend
The Helly Hansen Legend is another pair of pants that does well in every single category you want them to. If you want to ensure your kid is warm in frigid weather you’re covered. If you don’t want water to seep in and ruin your son’s day your covered again.
Don’t want your child to overeat and get sweaty legs? Once more, you’ll find the Legend’s won’t let that happen.
Some features that make this product worth it include:
- Articulated knees are good for mobility and your boy will have a full range of motion while wearing these pants.
- 60 grams of Thinsulate insulation is where the warmth comes from.
- Completely windproof which is another reason this piece of gear excels in bad weather.
- Two Layer Helly Tech Protection shell is why these won’t let water get in and why they’re so breathable.
- Boot gaiters prevent snow from piling in and ruining your kid’s day.
- Adjustable waist makes sure your little one has the perfect fit. The fit is relaxed too, which is the perfect middle ground of too tight and too loose.
Its cost is more than fair too and is a price that basically everyone can afford.
Obermeyer Carve Cargo
Last on this list for boys is the Obermeyer Carve Cargo and they’re made for teens. If you need something for a younger child you should look at the other products before these.
Like the pants you’ve seen already the Carve Cargo does a good job providing warmth and that’s because it comes with 60 grams of Permaloft insulation – this is enough to fight off cold in low temperatures.
You’ll also like that this piece of gear comes with:
- Reinforced pant hems add a bit of durability and ensures these won’t rip or tear.
- YKK zippers can withstand harsh conditions and won’t break off.
- Windguard prevents discomfort when the wind is gusting.
- 10,000mm’s of waterproofing and 10,000g’s of breathability makes sure your child won’t get wet or overheat.
The price isn’t bad either and is a good deal for what you’re getting.
Also, you get a lifetime warranty so you know these pants are built to last.
Best Ski And Snowboard Pants For Girls
You saw a few products from Spyder for the boys and now it’s time to see one of their pants for girls. The Spyder Vixen is an affordable option that not only performs well but looks good too.
One thing I really like about the Vixen is they’re made from stretch fabrics and this means more mobility for your daughter. She’ll be able to comfortably lean into every turn and carve without feeling constricted.
Some other features that you’ll like include:
- 10k of both waterproofing and breathability. This means snow and moisture will have a hard time getting in and on warmer days your girl won’t overheat.
- Inner snow gaiters prevents snow from piling into the her ski boots – no one likes wet and cold feet!
- Relaxed fit means these pants aren’t too tight or too loose. It also leaves enough room to layer if your child wants to do that.
- 60 grams of Thinsulate Insulation provides a high amount of warmth, even when it’s very cold out.
You also get 10 different colors and designs to choose from. You daughter will get the exact look she wants and will be able to match these pants to her jacket, skis, snowboard or any other piece of equipment.
They’re priced fairly too. This product gets perfect reviews and if you’d like to check out what other are saying about these pants, click below:
The Obermeyer Elsie is another product that scores well in every major category. You get 60 grams of Permaloft Insulation that keeps you toasty, and Hydroblock outershell that keeps water out – plus this material is highly breathable.
It also has a relaxed fit like the Spyder pants you just saw which means your daughter will feel nice and mobile – she won’t feel constricted and she’ll be able to ski or snowboard to her highest ability.
Also, they come with:
- Zippered pockets ensure what ever your child takes onto the slopes will stay safe and they won’t lose their expensive phone.
- Reinforced seams, rear and knees means this product will last season after season – you won’t have to worry about rips and tears.
- Tricot lined pockets adds a little extra warmth for your child’s cold fingers.
- Fleece lined waist is soft to the touch and is good for comfort.
- Boot gaiters keeps snow from getting into the pants and keeps snow from getting into your kid’s ski boots. Your girl will enjoy her day better because of this.
This is another pair of pants that comes in many different colors. You get your choice from white, black, pink, purple, multi-colored and more.
How much will these cost? Not too much. For all that you’re getting, I would definitely consider this product at that price.
The North Face Mossbud
The North Face Mossbud’s are one of the highest performing products on this list and excels where you want it to. Most pants on this list usually come with 10k of breathability and waterproofing. You know know how much the Mossbud’s have? A whopping 12k and 15k, respectively.
This means your daughter will be completely dry and comfortable all day long. Even if it’s snowing heavily or they’re riding in deep powder, they’ll be fine.
Some top feature include:
- DryVent fabrics is why this product does so well with waterproofing and breathability.
- Plenty of insulation to keep your child warm on the coldest days imaginable.
- EZ Grow Leg System means as your girl gets taller, the pants grow with them. You’ll be able to get an extra year or two out of these pants because of that.
- Relaxed fit ensures you have enough room to feel mobile and to layer if need be.
- Ankle gaiters are useful for keeping snow from getting in
- Fleece liner is another reason this gear is so comfortable – you daughter will definitely appreciate this.
These pants are priced a little higher than the ones you’ve seen already. They do come with a lifetime warranty, though, so that makes the price much more reasonable.
Get The Best Gear For Your Kids!
I’ve been skiing for a long time and I’ve had some great days out there – I’ve also had some bad ones. All bad days were the result of low quality gear, though.
When your purchase quality ski pants you know you’re setting your child up for a fun day. They’ll be warm, dry and won’t have to worry about coldness/wetness ruining things.
No matter your budget or your child’s needs, you’ll find a product on this list that suits them perfectly.
If you have any questions you can comment below and I’ll answer as quickly as possible. You can search around the ski and snowboard section up top for more gear reviews and tips.
Are you excited to hit the slopes this year with your kids?